We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat with a dog?

X-NYer in Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to eat with a dog?

I am visiting Sanibel Island for the first time next month. I was wondering if anyone can suggest places to eat with outside seating that allows small dogs. Tourmaline gave me quite a few places but also suggested that I post my question to the forum.

Also, can anyone tell me a little about Sanibel? I chose Sanibel Island from 2 web sites, this one and a pet friendly site. It sounds and looks (from pics I've seen) like a beautiful place but I don't know much about it. I wrote to the Chamber of Commerce for a vacation planner and all I have been receiving are e-mails from local RE owners offering to rent us their condos. Is there an area in Town with shops where we can walk around? Are there any sites we should see (that will allow me to bring my dog)?

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can share.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat with a dog?

Outside (commercial) dining is slim pickings in Sanibel because until recently it was not allowed at all by the city charter. The places that have it that come to mind are Amy's Over-Easy, Island Cow & Mucky Duck. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them. Others will no doubt help out.

There is no "downtown" shopping area on Sanibel. In fact, there is no downtown at all. There are a number of shopping centers scatterred down Periwinkle Way but you would have to drive/ bike between them.

I've never brought my dog so I can't help you about where they are allowed except that I have seen them on the beach at Lighthouse Beach so they are allowed there at least!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat with a dog?

Isn't there a patio at Mermaid Kitchen? Can't remember for sure.

Periwinkle Place shopping center is a nice complex of shops to walk around, with a covered boardwalk connecting them.

There are many neat little shopping spots on Sanibel given the size of the island, but as MSC said, you should drive or bike to them.

We were just in Hutchinson Island were boutique-style shops were virtually non-existent.

Take advantage of the variety Sanibel has to offer.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat with a dog?

The only place that I have seen someone dining with a Small pet (lap dog) was at Island Cow (outside patio) - just once. So They must allow it although I'm sure they don't encourage it.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat with a dog?

On Sanibel and Captiva most 'sights' are natural. I think dogs are allowed in Ding Darling, but leashed only. They are allowed on the beach [so long as clean up after them] and you can walk anywhere along the bike paths. The best 'walking' area would be places on the East End or between Casa Ybel to a short way west of Pointe Santo as they have easy access to Tarpon Bay Rd area where there are restaurants, shops, a market and other things. Take a look at Beachview Cottages. They allow pets, but are a little out of the way. A number of pet owners have commented favorably on Castaways, but I doubt you'd get a remodeled unit when traveling with a pet.

Try this map to help you locate things around the island:

www.cuisine-scene.com/pages/mapsancap.html

It's a restaurant locator map and has a detail area along Periwinkle Way where the small shopping 'malls' are - and I see folks with dogs there, especially Periwinkle Place.

I don't know about pets on boat rides. I'd say not likely, even on private charters, but you could ask around. It's fun to get out on the bay and see things from the water.

We have some members that bring their dogs every year and hopefully they'll offer more. Also, try posting on the message poad at www.bestofsanibelcaptiva.com There are some locals there that might have more info than we do.

5. Re: Where to eat with a dog?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island