We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

We are travelling to Sanibel in Sept (20-22) after our cruise. Our kids are 13 & 16. I went to Sanibel as a teen & wanted husband & kids to see the island. I had our choices narrowed down to Sanibel Inn, West Wind Inn, Waterside Inn, or Holiday Inn. Then I found Shalimar & Beachview cottages. Everything seems to get such mixed reviews. Holiday Inn is by far the most reasonable ($125/night) & Waterside & West Wind the most expensive. We don't need anything fancy but would like to be gulf front/gulf view. I would appreciate any pros/cons to the above places. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

I've had friends stay at the Holiday Inn and they didn't like it. Really small rooms and so-so beds.

Personally, I like the West Gulf location better [Waterside, West Wind, Beachview, Shalimar], but Sanibel Inn has the live entertainment. It really depends on whether you like feeling 'removed' from things or more in 'the heart of the island'. West Gulf for the first and Sanibel Inn for the second.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

One thing to consider is that September is the absolute high point in the year as far as vacancies are concened and you may well get a steal if you wait until the last minute (say two weeks out) and try to find a rental- you might get a 2-bedroom condo for the price of a motel room..

Even places that only rent weekly will sometimes rent a couple of nights rather than leave the entire week unoccupied.

This can open up a few options for you.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

I was interested in a condo rental, but everything I saw looked like "week only" rentals. I even looked on "VRBO" site. How would I know if a condo was available or an owner willing to rent for 2 nights? I have enjoyed the forums you both seem to offer great advice. Thanks again.

orlando fl
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

We stayed at seashells of sanibel in april and it was great!! we are also a family of four we originally were only going to stay for 4 nights because of the prices at different places. We found seashells of sanibel on this sight I checked out the prices and we were able to stay 7 nights it was great!! We stayed in unit 22 they all have full kitchens and 2 bedroom 2 bathroom very spacious there were even books puzzles and beachchairs for us to use during our visit. the pool there is very nice and only about a 3 min walk to the beach. Could not have been happier we are planning on returning next year.have a great trip!!!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

If you wait until mid- August you should be able to send some inquiries out to condo rentals- even if they have only weekly rentals- and someone would likely be willing to rent a partial week.

You can see more info about condo or house rentals on the Sanibel Insider pages on the overview tab.

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

I'm on board with the wait-till-the-last-minute idea. September is one of the lowest times for occupancy and you should find somone who will cut you a deal, just to get some income.

Check out the Chamber Welcome Center. They have numerous members who offer last minute vacancies and walk-in rates.

The week-minimum you are reading about is for condominium associations that require that.

No rental agency will break that rule. But you might find a private owner who will rent to you for a shorter period and worry about the association rules later. Enjoy your trip to Sanibel, a gem without equal.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

If I had just three nights to stay I would stay in a two bedroom Condo at Sandalfoot Condominium, ask for one of the Gulf Front Rooms. You can see photos of all the rooms online but you may have to call to book a short stay. Ask for Nancy Black in the office she is the manager.

Sanibel Moorings or Sanibel Arms West are great too. The location of all three I am thinking is perfect for the teens. Biking in the East End to the little shops and ice-cream, fishing at the pier, pools, tennis, wireless internet and more. You are still close to Periwinkle Shops and Dining too. You can book these on TripAdvisor too.

Two nights Casa Ybel Resort would be great! The kids will really be impressed with the really large POOL and amenities around the pool.

It's close to the Tarpon Bay area and Ding Darling and Periwinkle. Ask for the manager and tell him you are looking for a really good deal. They rent lots of beach toys at Casa too.

I like these places for you because you can totally spread out with the kids in two bedrooms and not be sleeping in one room in double beds, or in a small cottage.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

Just read some of the other posts and I have this to add...

Sanibel Arms West and Sanibel Moorings will both rent for two or three nights or more.

Sandalfoot Condominium will rent for three nights or more.

They are sometimes referred to as Condo Vacation Resorts. They have websites and staffs on-site and can be booked through TripAdvisor or on on the individual sites as well as through Reservation or Rental management companies.

Other's are a week like Sanibel Arms, Sea Shells of Sanibel (although they will take less at times), Sandy Bend is a week and so is Pelicans Roost.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

Ahem, Sanibelog..

I am sure that in light of Tourmaline's request for "civility" that it was an inadvertant coincidence that within a short response you managed to insert:

"No rental agency will break that rule. But you might find a private owner who will rent to you for a shorter period and worry about the association rules later."

A person might get the impression that agencies are always ethical, so if you want a "rule-breaker" you better find an owner...

I thought you wanted the other thread to stop and here we go again.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for family of 4 in Sept?

Back to workinmom:

Many "minimums" you might see on websites can be waived, especially in September. Even rental agencies can offer them to you as long as the owner of a particular unit has informed them that they allow it, so you can look around and choose the place that suits you.

I will add that the reason we are owners at Pointe Santo is that it is a great family place and you could consider this as well. In September it might be possible to find someone to fill in for less than $150/night.