We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable condos on the beach

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Affordable condos on the beach

Hello,

I am new to this site. I am planning my first trip to Sanibel next month. I am looking for the cheapest 1 br condo on the beach (I am on a tight budget). I will be going from July 14-21. I have done a lot of web searching and the best i can come up with is $900 for a week. There are just two of us and we are not looking for luxury, just something decent. Also, we are looking for a condo with a kitchen so we can cook a few meals. We would like to be on the beach.

Thanks for all of your help! I love the posts!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable condos on the beach

The best way to get the "cheapest" condo on the beach is (for the time being) to wait until you arrive and find the best last minute deal at the Chamber of Commerce. ("I say for the time being" because sometime this year, the Chamber will stop letting private owner rentals advertise their units there which often are cheaper; next month however you will still have access to all types of rentals hence the best opportunity to get the best bargain).

There should be plenty of availabilities at that time of year to choose from, but not necessarily the nicest units. But again if the lowest price is your biggest consideration, then last minute is the way to go.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable condos on the beach

There are a couple of ways to try and keep costs down. First, call a few places and ask about any deals that might be available. Start with Caribe Beach Resort and Singal Inn. Next, there is a small apartment now available at Ocean's reach. It's priced less than a condo and has very flexible dates. Try call them as well. Consider a cottage at a place like Bue Dolphin [no pool].

You can also try and take a chance and go for a 'walk up rate' at any condo or agency on the day you arrive. Discounts can be pretty decent and there will be availability. You may not be in a direct Gulf front unit, maybe a Gulf view, but you will still get a nice unit. And be sure to stop at places like Sanibel Arms, Ocean's Reach, Sandalfoot and Sanibel Arms West. They all have on-site rental offices and they too offer deals.

You can also look at some of the owner websites like VRBO or GreatRentals. I've seen a number of owners who post discounts and most will negoiate off season if they have an opening. Normally, owners will offer deals sooner than the on island places because they can't do the walk-up rates like an agency, condo association or resort.

You can also keep an eye on the 'Daily Vacancy' on the Chamber of Commerce website to see what specials are being offered. You can catch some good ones. They can also help with finding you a place to stay once you've arrived - though you might want to try the walk-up routine as you can check beach conditions prior to rental to be sure you like the location.

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable condos on the beach

At the time you are planning to be on Sanibel, there should be plenty of vacancies, for which discounted rates may be negotiated.

I agree that the Chamber retains a list of Daily vacancies. They also have a wide array of resources that can be contacted to inquire about vacancies and rates. Some of these accommodations have direct lines from the Chamber so that you can check out what's available right from the office.

Private owners list their condos with VRBO dot com, including Sanibel owners. The Chamber offers a free Vacation Guide - four-colors and comprehensive - that you can order from the web site at sanibel-captiva dot org and will arrive in time for you to do some relaxed homework.

This may be one of those cases where persistence pays off.

Welcome to Sanibel. Enjoy.

4. Re: Affordable condos on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2007, 13:39
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable condos on the beach

Thanks for all of the advice! I will keep you posted.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable condos on the beach

Thanks for all of the advice! I will keep you posted.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable condos on the beach

You can shop condo vacation resorts direct too like for one bedroom, Sandalfoot condo or also Sanibel Moorings has one bedroom places. Ask for a manager and see if they won't work with your budget. Sandalfoot has all gulf views too. Nancy Black is who you ask for. Tell her you saw this advise on Trip advisor in a forum.

Anyone can book shorter stays too right on Trip Advisor for Sanibel Arms West, Sandalfoot Condo, or Sanibel Moorings.

8. Re: Affordable condos on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island