We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Topic
Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

SANIBEL BEACH CONDITIONS

AS OF 7:30 A. M., JUNE 5, 2007

As of this morning, June 5th, 2007, Sanibel public beach park conditions are as follows:

Tarpon Bay Beach - No algae present. Beach is in good condition.

Algiers Beach (Gulfside City Park) - No algae present. Beach is in good condition.

Blind Pass Beach - No algae present in the immediate offshore surf zone. Algae present with spotty coverage at the water line, approximately 2" deep.

Turner Beach - Algae present at the water line, approximately 6' wide, and up to 10" deep. Algae present in the immediate offshore surf zone.

Bowman's Beach - Algae present at the high tide line, approximately 6' wide, and up to 3" deep. Algae present in the immediate offshore surf zone.

Lighthouse Beach :

From the Fishing Pier to Lighthouse Point - Algae present at the water line, ranging from approximately 3' - 15' wide, and up to 18" deep. Algae present in the immediate offshore surf zone.

From Lighthouse Point to the Gulf side - Algae present at the water line, approximately 15' wide, and up to 6" deep. Algae present in the immediate offshore surf zone.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

I managed to post another photo show in my profile.

I went to the Lighthouse Beach today an took photos after I heard the algae was back.

The beaches and the water was quite clear on Memorial Day Weekend so I was disappointed to hear it washed up on that end of the Island so quickly. The Memorial Day photos are up in the movie section too.

I found that the tourists didn't seemed to be bothered at all however which was interesting. The way reports read you would expect no one to be at this public beach.

I noticed that the algae was drying up fast.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

Hi how long have you been experiencing these conditions around sanibel?

Do you know of any plans to treat the problem?

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

http://www.sanibelh20matters.com/

You can read about it on this website.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

And if you go and look at today's update, it underlines how much things change day to day.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

Red drift algae has been around Sanibel and many other islands for years, but the recent problems go back about 2-3 years. Understand, it's not just Sanibel that's been affected, but Ft Myers Beach and other areas as well. It just seems it's more persistent on Sanibel - or maybe just acknowledged more openly.

In addition to H2Omatters that Rainstorm provided, you can read the InsiderPage on the subject:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34616-c22818/Sanibel…

Both may have more info than you want. :-)

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

Sanibel is a City that is very active politically and is very engaged in finding a solution to the Red Drift Algae. The area's recent outbreak has been attributed to organic material decay in the water as a result of the extremely active hurricane season, and to excess fresh water and pollutants from the inland lakes and rivers. And believe it or not on some tidal influences from Africa...

The City will most likely not get EPA permits to work with the beaches until after turtle nesting season.

And they have RFP's out for contractors to maintain and clean the beaches.

I know this from personally speaking with environmental officials, City officials and contractors.

One Master Naturalist has stated that we have had outbreaks like this before, I just tried to call and get that history.

http://www.sanibelh20matters.com/ and http://www.purre.org/ if anyone can fix it Sanibel can and will. Our recent election were won on that mandate.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

I just heard back from the Naturalist, she said that the region had outbreaks in 73 and 91 or 93. That their are reports of fresh water going as far as 3 miles out into the gulf back as far as the 1,800's so the only way Fresh Water is a factor is if it has pollutants but even that is odd because of the sheer volume of water in the Gulf you would think that pollutants would dissipate.

I vote for Hurricane debris and dust settlement from Africa settling on the bottom and causing unusual algae growth.

Although I am sure nutrients from farm lands and human's has some effect too.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

OK, sorry last time but look at this article online at NOAA.

The Natrualist I was talking to said something about Extreme Natrual Events and here you go...

…noaa.gov/stressors/…fact-ecohab.html

Here is about the dust back in 01...it was in the News-press that the time lines on the dust and debris theory makes sense.

gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20010824redtides.html

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

Thank you VSC for the interesting background information and direct from the source updates.

For the sake of clarity, due to prior postings a number of months back, I am calling attention to the fact that the African dust theory has been proposed as a possible mechanism for Red Tide, which is a completely different phenomon that Drift Algae. I am not sure if there has been a link to the drift algae made by anyone in the scientific community but I wouldn't be surprised if there turned out to be one.

Again, I only bring this up so as to keep the two problems (Red Drift Algae which is affecting us now & Red Tide which is currently not) separated in our minds.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanibel Beach conditions 6-5-07

NBC 2 (6 pm Thursday June 7)just showed LIVE video and did an interview at Lighthouse beach. Seems they have posted signs and closed the beach to swimming because of risks to health. The recents storms have released sewage into the water. It is to stay closed until at least Tuesday to swimming. There were people in the water swiming though. It is the only beach that is affected.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island