We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Restaurants

Manchester CT
1 post
Save Topic
Sanibel Restaurants

Does anyone know if there are any restaurants on the island that are friendly to those of us who are celiac (alergic to wheat)? My wife has a serious alergy to wheat and we are going for a long weekend this Saturday. More and more restaurants are catering to those with special diatery needs but I have been undable to find anything on Sanibel.

thank you.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Restaurants

Many places have at least some vegetarian dishes on the menu. I have a friend with celiac and she carries her own salad dressing and gets her salads plain and adds her own dressing - or uses vinegar and oil - so a lot of salads - sans croutons - would work. We never seem to have a problem when we eat finding something she likes. She does carry a card that she gives to the wait staff so the chef can review her list of off limits food.

Simple grilled foods, especially fish and meat, are readily available. Try Grandma Dot's and Timbers. If you call ahead to Sunset Grill and Mad Hatter you can see what they're offering that would suit. You'd need reservations at Mad Hatter anyway. Sanibel Steakhouse is another option. Also talk to RedFish BluFish. The portions are really small, but they certainly have the skill to handle such a modest request. Old Captiva House is another

Not many places have the classic French sauces thickened with flour. Light reductions are common in the better places. Try www.cuisine-scene.com They have links to menus or google the restaurant name. Many have online sample menus you can peruse.

Though it's certainly reliable and well priced, Doc Ford's might be too limited for your wife.

It's hard on restaurants. I was out one night recently with one person allergic to nuts and eggs, another to shellfish and a third was diabetic. So much for the food pyramid.

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Restaurants

A friend who is allergic to garlic found that she could avoid problems if she was very specific and forceful in advising the chef of her problem. The last such encounter was at Dolce Vita, Italian. Imagine living without garlic in an Italian kitchen.

Anyway, she safely dined by also telling said chef that he would hear about if she had a problem post-repast.

I wonder if Trader's might not be able to serve gluten-free meals.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Restaurants

Call the restaurants with your specific questions and ask to speak to someone knowledgeable or possibly the chef. Maybe they can prepare something just for your needs.

go to www.cuisine-scene.com to find menus, phone numbers and websites.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Restaurants

I know the Chef's at Gasparilla's Grill Mark the new Chef and Randy the owner and if you were to contact those men directly they would accommodate you. They will understand and deliver what you need. 472-2323.

I also know Suzanne at the Thistle Lodge is very accommodating and would make sure you were taken care of. She too would get it and make sure you were taken care of. 472-9200.

Dianne at Greenhouse Grill would also help. And their is a gormet market across the street that makes meals Andrea's Market and Deli 472-9990 that should be able to assist I am not certain whom to ask for but it looks like their is a manager and chef on duty at all times.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel Restaurants

Thought of one other place that is really fun and Chef Bruno or Owner's Andy and Brenda will take care of your Dietary needs. I am trying to come up with Owner Manager places where the folks are Chefs themselves and hands on in the business.

Biddles Restaurant and Piano Bar. Just off Island in the Sanibel Beach Place shopping center. 433-4449. You can use the coupon in the Must Do book to pay for the toll :)

You can pick up a Must Do at the Chamber or Jerry's or Bailey's or Dairy Queen.

That along with what the others have said should do it for you. Anyone I am forgetting here folks?

Sunset Grill maybe? Up at Blind Pass.

NO offence to all my other favorites like Mucky and Heron, and Cow it's just that I don't see them being flexible enough to vary the menu.

Traders might like SL said.

6. Re: Sanibel Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 02:19