We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

My daughter will have her 8th birthday whilst we are on vacation on Sanibel. Does anyone have any recommendations for good fun restaurants that we could take her to on her birthday?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

Bubble room - i've only had cake there.

Island Cow or Cheeburger, Cheeburger - I think they sing to you there.

Happy birthday to her.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

I'd take Island Cow or Cheeburger Cheeburger over - except Bubble Room has better cakes. You can get them as takeout. You can also get cakes at Mermaid Kitchen.

FL
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

Speaking of Mermaid Kitchen, I would like to go there with my family simply cause my 2 girls LOVE mermaids. I heard the food was not too great there, so I was thinking of just going there for cake. Do they have simple cake kids will like? The cake I've heard of sounds kind of adult if that makes any sense. Funky flavors and fruit filling sounds good to me, but my kids can be kind of picky and I want to make sure they have less of a gourmet cake.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

Roxi - they have a huge fishtank that my kids went wild for - a couple of "nemos" in it. To me, not the friendliest place for kids, though mine are little, so that might make a difference.

Look at themermaidkitchen.com for their menu - my kids had no trouble finding a cake to choose from. We did do takeaway, but, if they were older, I might dine in at an off time for just cake.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

Personally I never liked the food at Mermaid Kitchen, so it's been awhile since I ate there. Cakes are good. I liked the fish tanks. I think the decor in the Bubble Room has more, but I also think it's more fun for adults as much of it is vintage.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

Blue Giraffe might be just the ticket! It's at Periwinkle Place Shopping Plaza with a swing set, toy store for a real birthday treat and Fresh Produce the clothing store with CUTE little girl outfits!

The restaurant is small, and cute, smartly colored and has fun food.

Is someone surprised I didn't say Hungry Heron?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

If she's artistic she might like Matsaluna. It has paper tableclothes and they give you crayons so she can spend her time drawing all over the table top. Food is good, not sure about the cakes but you can always bring something in and have it after dinner.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

Island Cow is one of my son's favorites-he's twelve.

Very relaxed atmosphere. Play the ring game on the back terrace while you wait, it's very addicting.

I'd second Matzaluna also. Very kid friendly with being able to draw on the paper table cloths, and it's a fun way to pass the time while waiting for your order.

We had lunch at Mermaid kitchen in February. The food was okay, service was friendlier than what we had a few years ago, but the kitchen was slow, slow ,slow. Several complaints around us, and it wasn't all that busy. Waiting long for food is definitely not a great time for kids. The decor is cute though.

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

I was recently at Gasparilla's. Can't vouch for the food but there were lots of families with kids there.

Or, something a little different.

You can have dinner al fresco at poolside and by the beach at Casa Ybel's Thistle Lodge.

Not fancy. But fun. It could be a birthday dinner to remember.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good fun restaurants for an 8th birthday?

Thanks for all your recommendations. Only a week to go!