We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captiva Cruises Reservations

Chicago
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Topic
Captiva Cruises Reservations

If I am visiting in mid-October, is it necessary to make reservations for Captiva Cruises ahead of time? How about bike rentals?

Thanks.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

no and no..

I think Captiva only books a week ahead. Bike rentals - they have so many, don't worry about it. But if you do do it early, they deliver to where you stay and then pick up for you..

Chicago
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

Any preference for bike rentals? I was given the names of Billy's and Finnimore's.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

I use billy's - no special reason. Both are good, from what I hear.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

Captiva Cruises will only accept passengers with reservations. You cannot reserve more than 7 days in advance, but in the fall, just call for next day. The thing, they run a reduced schedule off-season, so calling ahead to see what's offered what days is a good idea, but wait till about a week before your departure.

The owner of Captiva Cruises [he also owns McCarthy's Marina] is slowly relocating his cruise operations back up to South Seas Resort. I have not yet figured out how that will work as SSR does not allow cars - other than guests or renters - onto their property. Also, the trolley is for guests only and even renters who are not guests can't use it. When I find out, I'll let you know. Can't say I'm thrilled about it.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

One other thing, the move to SSR's yacht harbor also means more private parties on the Lady Chadwick, so there will be more days, especially in season, when the boat will be unavailable all or part of the day. They do have a pontoon boat, but it has limited passenger capacity. SSR is planning on offering it for various group outings for the meetings and other large group events that book into the resort.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

Thanks Tour - good info. I meant to say you can't make advance -as in weeks in advance. Thank you for clarifying.

Hmm what will they do - I like Mcarthy's.

Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

Thanks for offering to keep us updated. We were so captivated with the island on our visit there in April, we never got around to a Captiva Cruise, but it is definitely on our to-do list when we come in December. Hope that's going to be possible.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

A couple of years back we used Captiva cruises taking their Sunset Seronade from SSR. Using the trolley to get from the parking lot worked okay going but coming back it was getting dark and the Trolley's seemed few and far between. It was a real pain having to wait for the next one to get back to your car. On top of that I missed my Cheeburger fix cos we got back too late.

Enjoyed the cruise though. Don't forget your internet coupons.

We always use Finnimores but watch out for delivery charges whoever you choose. Otherwise just turn up,you shouldn't have a problem in October.

Captiva, FL
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

Dear Folks,

My name is Paul McCarthy and I am the owner of both Captiva Cruises and McCarthy's Marina. My staff and I enjoy learning all the comments about Captiva Cruises. We very much value suggestions and comments from our customers. We have been operating our cruise program here on Captiva Island since 1986.

Prior to Hurricane Charley in 2004, we ran all of our cruises from the marinas inside South Seas. In the aftermath of the hurricane, it was necessary to shift our operations to McCarthy's Marina because of the extensive damage to South Seas. In the last three years, the South Seas Island Resort has undergone a major restoration program, and its marina facilities have been repaired and upgraded. We are now in the process of transitioning some of our operations back to South Seas. As was customary in the past, our customers, who are not staying at the Resort will continue to have access to all of our cruise offerings. To best service our customers, reservations are generally required on all of our cruises, and we recommend that you call us a few days in advance of your requested date.

We are thrilled that South Seas has re-emerged as the fabulous and vibrant Resort, which captured our hearts back in the '80s. The Resort now boasts wonderful new amenities and upgraded accommodations. We also love our little niche here at McCarthy's Marina. For both us and our passengers, we believe that it is the best of both worlds. If you're visiting Sanibel or Captiva islands, we welcome you to stop by to say hello...or better yet, go for a cruise.

In the Fall, we're introducing a new 24-passenger sailing catamaran, about which we're all excited. We're also working on a new, updated interactive website, which we hope to launch later this year. captivacruises.com

Best wishes,

Paul McCarthy

Newmarket, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Captiva Cruises Reservations

Wow, it's nice to see you post out here, Paul. My husband and I own a timeshare at Casa Ybel Resort on Sanibel. We always enjoy going out of the Dolphin Watch cruises every year. We are excited to hear about your catamaran and will be sure to check it out when we arrive in December. We will only cruise with Captiva Cruises and highly recommend them to anyone visiting Sanibel and Captiva. By the way, we have never had a problem entering the South Seas Resort for our cruises in the past or the new Marina location they have been using. Go a little early and enjoy lunch or dinner at the Mucky Duck (on Andy Rosse Lane) or the Bubble Room right next door. Be sure to save room for a piece of cake (which can be split between two people) from the Bubble Room. Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island