We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Causeway Opening Sept 8

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Topic
New Causeway Opening Sept 8

Here you go! Official at last!

New Sanibel Causeway Grand Opening Scheduled

for Saturday, September 8, 2007

Fort Myers, FL, September 4, 2007 - It's time to celebrate the grand opening of the new Sanibel Causeway. All are invited to attend the grand opening ceremonies to view the new causeway, envision the future, and take one final look at the historic old causeway to remember the past.

Grand opening festivities include a 5K race on the new causeway, kayaking demonstration, sailboat regatta, classic car procession and ribbon cutting ceremony. From 10 a.m. to noon bicyclists and pedestrians will be permitted to traverse the entire causeway. All of the activities can be viewed from the tent on causeway island 'B'. Public parking areas include causeway islands 'A and B,' Sanibel Captiva Chamber of Commerce and Resort Quest Real Estate. There will also be a continuous free trolley shuttle service from all parking areas to causeway island 'B' from 10 AM to Noon. Two-way traffic will be maintained on the causeway during these festivities. Motorists are urged to use extra caution while driving and be aware of pedestrians and bicyclists.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

Oh my...I can hardly wait to see this thing done!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

It is an awesome sight!

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

Anybody providing champagne?

florida
Level Contributor
296 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

Oh my gosh, what will this do to the traffic. We are do to arrive for our weeks vacation on Sat. We are staying at the Lighthouse Resort.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

It will be slow for sure, but not stopped completely - hopefully. If there is an emergency [and isn't there always at least one of those at any event] then be prepared to spend some quality time on the causeway. Enjoy the view - you may as well because you can't do anything about it. Heaven help those renting from PMR/ResortQuest and do wait till Sunday before trying to get to the visitor center. Just be patient because being in a rush won't change things. I'd try and arrive later in the day to avoid the worst of it. Be sure you have the late arrival instructions just in case.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

I'm kind of phobic (O.K., really phobic) of tall bridges. When we travelled to Captiva last June it was dark when we went over the causeway, but it looked like the new causeway is a lot taller than the old one. It's not too much taller, is it? (not that it would stop me from going to Captiva.)

Bad memories of cowering under the car seat as a kid when we crossed that St. Pete's skyway bridge, or whatever it's now called. That was the scariest bridge ever!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

:-) Not fond of heights myself, but I have managed to get used to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, but I know what you mean - especially in a high wind! The Sanibel bridge is much higher than the old drawbridge - I think about 20 feet higher, but as bridges go, not all that high. Certainly the Tappan Zee is much higher as is the GWB, but they also much more substantial bridges. LOL. SO close your eyes and cross your fingers and think of Captiva.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

The bridge is much higher - Not a big deal once you are crossing it - and the views are stunning. As for traffic problems on Saturday - it's September, there is no traffic.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

Thanks, Tourm and Rainstorm! I'll let my husband and kids enjoy the stunning views while I keep my eyes closed and picture the nice, gorgeous, down-on-the-ground beaches!

Tourmaline, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in high winds!?! Yikes!!!!! I would seriously need to ingest vast quantities of sedatives and vodka or something to ride in a car crossing that thing in high winds!!! ;) You are seriously brave!! At least the Florida bridges don't get icey, I guess.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Causeway Opening Sept 8

The News-Press [www.news-press.com] has a very nice layout of photos for the bridge opening yesterday. Take a look.