We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place to stay on West Gulf Dr.

MO
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a place to stay on West Gulf Dr.

I have been going to Sanibel for the past 10yrs but we always stay on East Gulf Dr. Sanibel Moorings and Song of the Sea. Alot of the posts that I have been reading say that the West end is much more secluded and quite. Just wondering if that is true and if anyone has suggestions let me know.

thanks Denise

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a place to stay on West Gulf Dr.

Hi there!

I think the folks that post here just have a preference for quite and 'away from it all'. East Gulf and Middle Gulf are both really nice, but once you start getting further away - or up on Captiva where I like staying - East Gulf seems to townlike. It's purely personal preference, not a suggestion that one is better than the other. I stayed on East Gulf, Middle Gulf and West Gulf and many places on Captiva. I like West Gulf and Captiva. Still others like the feel of Blind Pass Condos by Bowman's Beach.

Staying on the west end of West Gulf, that is past the last of the big condo complexes that end around Tarpon Bay Rd, you'll find a far more limited selection of condos. Some don't rent at all, some have 2 week to 4 week minimums and a number are rather expensive.

If you don't need a Gulfview, take a look at Breakers West at Waterside Inn. Great location and one of the few moderate places. Blue Gulf, Sanaya, Sand Pointe and Sandpiper West. All rent weekly. ACross the street from the beach is Sea Shells of Sanibel. As an alternate to a condo, there are cottages at Beachview and Shalimar.

Grandma Mac likes Sanaya and it looks like a very nice choice. Some well done units thru owner on VRBO and the nicest others [IMHO] thru VIP. Sunnyvaca likes Breakers West for her young family. You can find them on the Waterside Inn website and one on VRBO. Sand Pointe has gotten good comments. Blue Gulf I've heard nothing about as there don't seem to be many rentals there, but Royal Shell has one. Sandpiper West has only 6 very large condos available thru ResortQuest.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a place to stay on West Gulf Dr.

And since it wasn't mentioned I'll add Pointe Santo (our home base) and you could also consider Casa Ybel.

We like the location on West Gulf for less congestion on the bike paths (less curb cuts) and easier proximity to the refuges yet close enough to a lot of shopping and restaurants.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a place to stay on West Gulf Dr.

When posters are referring to the far West end by Tropical Winds Motel and Cottages and Blind Pass.

Tropical Winds is located on the beach at the end of two lanes, Tahiti and Jamaica Dr. There are 40 or so older homes and some newer ones in this tiny neighborhood.

There are no other accommodation on the beach for miles in either direction and it is a huge beautiful beach full of shells.

The new inn keepers have done a great job of keeping the accommodations up. There should be a new website up in a matter of days with new photos.

I have seen nothing but positive comments from guests that have stayed there all season long.

Kathy and Greg are the name of the Inn Keeper. I will make a photo show later today and post it.

MO
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a place to stay on West Gulf Dr.

Thank You. I will look for the photos.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a place to stay on West Gulf Dr.

The beach in this DVD slide show is 1 to 2 miles south of Bowman's. Tropical Winds, West End Paradise, Periwinkle Cottages, Blind Pass Condos, and I am sure some private rentals are available in this area.

This area is across from the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge and a mile from the Sanibel Recreational Center.

You are North of Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grill and South of Santiva which is the area were Sanibel and Captiva meet. This is actually just about right in-between both island centers.

The photo show is uploading it will take an hour and be available in my profile by clicking on my screen name.

6. Re: Looking for a place to stay on West Gulf Dr.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island