We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

So, what to expect?

I'm taking my family -- two elementary school aged children and my wife. I've researched a bit, but would love to hear more from you all about what to expect at the Seaside Inn if you've stayed there or what to expect/do in general.

Thanks!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Seaside Inn is an old fashioned and generally quite place on Sanibel's east end. It is on the bike paths and has a small pool there. Kind of 'Old Florida' feel to it.

Sanibel's east end is criss-crossed by canals that make up various neighborhoods. The lighthouse is at this end. It is the most developed, but only by Sanibel standards. There are 2 good deli's, one of the best ice cream shops, and a couple of restaurants and shops. The markets and the bulk of the restaurants are mid island, about 5-10 minutes by car. The bike paths are all over.

For things to do:

Ding Darling Tram Tour

Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum

fish off the Sanibel Pier down at the Lighthouse

take a druise to see the dolphins with Captiva Cruises

rent bikes and go around the 24 miles of bike paths

Check out Sanibel Sea School and maybe have the kids take a class there - or do a family thing

visit CROW and SCCF

mostly, go to the beach, shell, watch for dolphin and baby sting rays, shell, swim, shell, and have some family time.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Cruises
Captiva Cruises
824 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Cool. Thanks for the information. I've seen that "Old Florida" comment before about certain areas of Florida, but I have no idea what that means. Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Here's my take on how Sanibel is "Old Florida". Sanibel is laid-back, family-friendly, low key and unspoiled. It's a great place to relax and recharge your batteries by spending time on the beach, shelling, biking, bird watching/wildlife viewing, kayaking and enjoying spectacular sunsets. Food on the island is basically American fare - not fancy but not inexpensive either (this is probably the only aspect of Sanibel that requires improvement in my humble opinion). Sanibel isn't a destination with glitzy resorts, McMansions, cutting edge dining or night life to speak of.

If you read some of the threads on the Sanibel forum you will see that it's the kind of place that, for many, touches the soul.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Nice answer, ks... To me, when I say old Florida, I mean comfortable, beachy, no pretense. The way it used to be... Not the glitz and glamour, or strip malls full of touristy junk ala miami-esque.

There are some condos/resorts on Sanibel which, while not the Ritz, aren't so much Old Florida. Casa ybel or South Seas, for example are more upscale. Seaside Inn, Waterside inn, Beachview cottages or Island Inn would be my example of Old Floridaish.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Casa Ybel Resort
Casa Ybel Resort
682 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
South Seas Hotel
South Seas Hotel
1,628 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Old Florida......A bunch of moms and dads and grammas and grandpas, and their kids and grandkids, and everybody is having fun and not concerned about Botox or implants and how they compare to others on the beach. :) Just sweet family fun..

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Soooooooo, McNaught, when you were walking behind me admiring my thong, you didn't like my cheek implants or botox??? lmao......hee heee

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

I didn't notice, I was distracted by the man in the banana hammock and your screaming kids! Happy late mothers day :)

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

heehee, banana hammock man - definitely some injections there... ewwwww.

Happy Mothers Day to you also. I am hopeful my cutie pie son will scream less now he is a bigboy of 3. Probably not today, as he has sprained his knee.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Sunny: Comfortable, beachy, no pretense. I like this description of "Old Florida". Agree with your assessment of the other properties (Casa Ybel/South Seas vs the other properties) too!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Casa Ybel Resort
Casa Ybel Resort
682 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
South Seas Hotel
South Seas Hotel
1,628 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seaside Inn -- first time visitor to Sanibel Island...

Why thank you. Likewise for you.