We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Kayaking info

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Kayaking info

Lots of questions for you fine people:

1) I have an 8-year-old boy (he's on the short side) and 11-year old girl. Can they handle kayaking? (they are both very athletic). I'm assuming we'll take 2-person kayaks -- one kid with me and one with my lovely wife? Does that sound reasonable?

2) I've seen some of the trips described as 2 hours long. Can you go as short or as long as you want? I think we would prefer a non-guided tour.

3) Where is the best place to take off from?

4) How much would this cost?

5) Do the alligators or lone crocodile cause any problems or potential hazards?

6) Is it worth it?

7) I've seen bug spray recommended for no-see-ums. Do you just put this on your legs or everywhere?

Thanks!

WI
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

1. Sounds totally reasonable- Pair up, you & your son, wife & daughter in the other.

2. You can do an unguided tour in the Ding refuge when you rent Kayaks from Tarpon Bay Explorers. I did it with 2 teens & the hubby in under 2 hours.

3. You can go right from where you rent them.

4. Sorry it was a few years ago, I don't remember how much.

5. We didn't see any.

6. It is totally worth it. We now own a kayak because we had so much fun.

7. Spray every exposed area!!!!!

Have fun!!!!

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

Ditto everything Sunnyanne said and it is $30 for 2 hours for a double. They told us there are no alligators or crocs where you kayak because it is salt water. It was a wonderful experience!

http://www.tarponbayexplorers.com/rates.html

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

Thanks for the advice! I think we're going to do it!

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

TSF - you absolutely should do it. I had my small for his age 7-year-old nephew out in the refuge at Christmas in a tandem. Put the kid's in the front and each of you sit in the back. It is very shallow at Tarpon Bay, but they will still require the kids to wear life jackets.

Kayaks are very stable and easy to steer. When the kids sit in front you can let them do all the "paddling" - which is what my nephew wanted to do. In the back, I could easily steer when needed, as well as paddle a little quietly and let him run the show. It was amazing! He had the best time ever and talks about "taking me out kayaking" when he comes back.

Plus it is an amazing place and sitting on the water is a special way to experience the bay and the mangroves.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

Travelingsteve.

Thanks for asking the alligator question! I have always wondered about that!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

Excellent advice all! You people are awesome!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

The experienced kayakers gave you very good advice. I too would say Tarpon Bay and avoid the cut where is joins the bay as the currents can be strong there. Kayaks can be rented up on Captiva as well, but that's the open bay and there are many boaters and many ignore the 'no wake' areas, so it's a better choice for the more skilled or adventurous. Tarpon Bay is a great place so just call Tarpon Bay Explorers and give it a try. And please USE INSECT REPELLENT AND SUNSCREEN! And You'll be much happier if you do. There's a lot of reflected sun off the water, so good polarized sunglasses are wonderful for your eyes. That's all I ever wear around water. Put the on a chain or cord so you won't lose them if you bend over.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

Thanks Tourmaline. I will for sure use sun screen and insect repellent. I'm not a fan of sunburns or insect bites.

9. Re: Seeking Kayaking info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 19:20
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island