We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metered Parking

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Metered Parking

Metered Parking at Bowman's Beach and the Lighthouse?

How much does it cost? How long can you stay per pay? What kinds of coins do the meters take?

Any tips regaring this?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Metered Parking

Steve I copied this from another site........

Parking

On Sanibel, general parking is $2.00 an hour. Parking stickers available; call 239-472-3111. On Captiva, both Turner Beach and the public access at the very tip of the island are metered at $1.00 an hour or $5.00/day. On Fort Myers Beach, parking is free at accesses and in the lot just before the bridge. Bonita's accesses #1 and #10 (along with Bonita Beach Park) are metered

Now a note from me.... on Sanibel you can swipe your credit card in the machine. Which is handy. Once you have paid, a receipt prints out that you put on your dash. The parking is strictly enforced, so even if you are there for a few minutes go ahead and pay. I am not sure if you can use credit cards with the Captiva ones.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metered Parking

Captiva is now $2 per hour and not only do they NOT take credit cards, but their machines also will NOT give you change.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Metered Parking

Often the machines are a problem. Have singles and a credit card.

The Lighthouse Beach parking area is paid 24/7. Other lots are paid during the day. Check the hours. Usually 7AM to 7 PM. They lots are regularly patrolled and tickets are common. Watch the time. You can always buy more, but once you buy it, no refunds. I find it's best to have both singles and a VISA card - just in case the blasted machine won't accept bills. They also take quarters, $5 and $10 bills.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metered Parking

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how that all worked.

New Smyrna Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metered Parking

Dumb Question of the Day....I am driving my open Jeep to Sanibel. What do I do about posting my parking meter receipt?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metered Parking

Bring some tape.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Metered Parking

Place the receipt in a plastic baggie - a Ziploc sandwich size is handy - and then use the tape. That way if there's a shower, it's still OK. Unless someone swipes it. That's most likely at Lighthouse beach.

New Smyrna Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metered Parking

I may also bring my scooter for around town travel.

Will I have to deal with the metered parking with it or are there areas that a scooter can park free?

9. Re: Metered Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island