We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report from Sanibel Island

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
510 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report from Sanibel Island

We arrived in Sanibel at about 11pm this past Friday night. We left Sanibel a little after noon yesterday.

We stayed in the Pineapple Lodge which is on the sand and is part of the Waterside Inn which is on the west end of the island. This place was quite clean but a little worn and a bit out of date. However, the view from our balcony made up for any decorating issues! The beach wasn't crowded at all and there were sooooo many shells. I have a small suitcase full of keepers to unload in my living room right now!

Hit the beach to shell and hang out Saturday morning.

We had lunch at the Island Cow on Saturday. I got the grouper basket, it was huge. My husband got the 9 count shrimp and it was huge! We couldn't even finish our food. The brought out 3 chocolate chip muffins when we arrived-yummy! Their fries were really good too.

Then we drove down to the Lighthouse and all the way to the end of Captiva stopping along the ways to take pictures and check out shops.

Hit the evening low tide for shelling.

Saturday night we had dinner and Cheeseburger Cheeseburger and had a good time creating our burgers. They had good fries, soso onion rings to me. The horseradish dipping sauce was really good.

Hit the beach for shelling and tanning.

Sunday we picked up sandwiches and chips at Bailey's for lunch and ate in our room while we rested and cooled off then cruised down to Captiva to pick me up some new crocs at Footloose (they didn't have my size in Sanibel). We stopped at the fancy little gourmet grocery store for a iced brownie that was really good!

It seems many places are closed on Sunday in Sanibel so back to Island Cow for us. Confetti muffins this time. I got a half order paella and there were no less than a pound of seafood (mussels, clams, fish, shrimp) plus chicken and sausage in this bowl of goodness. Hubby got crab dressing stuffed shrimp with yellow rice and mashed potatoes-both were very generous and good! Since this was our last night we went for the Bovine Madness for dessert-chocolate cake with chocolate and cinnamon ice cream, hot fudge and caramel and whipped cream-it was crazy!

Monday I was up early to shell and beach more then we packed up, hit a couple of stores and returned to Ft Myers to catch our plane home.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report from Sanibel Island

So glad you had great shelling!

After reading your description I am definately going to save room for the Bovine Madness this summer!

Great trip report!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report from Sanibel Island

Nice trip report! Thanks for writing it. Sounds like you had a blast.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report from Sanibel Island

Got a lot in for such a short trip! Love reports!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report from Sanibel Island

Glad to know that Aggies are allowed on the island!

:))))

I am from your part of the world, so as a wife of a Texas-ex, I had to say something...

Thanks for the report!

Maineville, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report from Sanibel Island

Wow!!!

I can only hope to cram that much stuff into my visit! Sounds great!

6. Re: Trip report from Sanibel Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 09:26
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island