We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving in 1 day!

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving in 1 day!

Well, as promised, here's my last thread starter before I leave.

We're on the road at 5:30 tomorrow morning. I greatly appreciate all the info you've all given me since I started seeking it a few weeks ago.

Isn't there some sort of wildlife refuge on the island or something? :)

Can't wait to see Ding Darling and kayak in Tarpon Bay. Very eager to see the shelling situation too.

An in-depth report (probably more than you will want to read) will be provided when I get back.

Have a great week everyone!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving in 1 day!

Have a safe trip and REMEMBER THE SUNSCREEN AND BUG SPRAY. And just relax and enjoy the islands.

orlando, fl
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving in 1 day!

Just got back. If very hot, animals are not so active. Ding Darling opens for car route at 7:30. Go then. Or, when not hot, better then.

Shelling - fun at lighthouse point, and great stuff near blind pass, east of that. Less traveled, less competition. The problem with some areas is LOTS of competition for shells so you have to be strategic! Go very early. And of course low tide is best.

Have fun!!!!! Jealous, wish I was going back already.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving in 1 day!

Steve - I loved your posts and enthusiasm! I wish I was going to be on-island while you're there, but I'm not flying down until the 30th.

As to touring Ding, I agree either early or late in the day (as opposed to the heat of the day) is best and low tide is generally the best opportunity to see birds feeding. Kayaking in Tarpon Bay is great anytime.

Maineville, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving in 1 day!

I'm also leaving in the morning, a little bit earlier than you Steve, and I also appreciate all the helpful tips and info that you've all provided over the past weeks! My family and I look forward to having a great week and giving a full report when we return!!

Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving in 1 day!

Have a safe trip.

Enjoy your stay on the island.

In most cases the anticipation is almost as enjoyable as the trip itself. That makes it even more exciting.

6. Re: Leaving in 1 day!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 16:18