We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel without children

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sanibel without children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2009, 20:28
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel without children

The more 'adult' oriented places are usually also the most expensive.

Red Fish Blue Fish - tapas style food

Mad Hatter - gourmet in historic beach house; limited menu

Olde Captiva House - Tween Waters Inn and then the 9PM NASCRAB races next door in the bar

and to a lesser extent, Thistle's at Casa Ybel and Sunset Grill up by Blind Pass.

Entertainment at Dolce Vita, Ellington's, sometimes at Tweenies, most evenings at Mucky Duck, RC Otters, Key Lime Bistro. The wine bar next to Captiva Provisions across from the entrance to SSR in Chadwick Square.

Just call ahead. Lots of places close in Sept, so CALL AHEAD!

2. Re: Sanibel without children

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2009, 20:29
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel without children

The very lowest visitation of the year is mid-August to early-October.

School starts, work starts, the weather is hot and humid in AUg/Sept, snowbirds stay away till second or third week Oct and the risk of hurricanes are high - though for all the hype, really low when you realize just how infrequently the islands have been hit.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel without children

If you don't already have a place to stay, I would recommend the Blue Dolphin for a really get away from it all type of place. There is no pool, so there are no kids. It is as far down on West gulf as you can get, and a totally secluded beach. I rode my bike down there a lot and envied the people who had such peace and quiet. It is not a fancy place, very simple actually, but it is peaceful and the best beach on the island.

5. Re: Sanibel without children

Removed on: 12 January 2009, 20:29
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel without children

NASCRAB is only done Mondays and Thursdays, so keep that in mind. :-) No-see-ums, what can I say. They ALWAYS find me!

Chicago
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel without children

Same with us Tourmaline, we have sworn by the old stand by of Skin so soft from Avon for years, to discover last season it had stopped working!! Ahh!! As most know, if there is rain, there are no-see-ums!

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel without children

Seahorse Cottages are adults-only and look great. I've never stayed there, but may try to talk my husband into it for our next trip. They look so charming and romantic, and they have a (small) pool!

USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel without children

I agree Mad Hatter and Old Captiva House are wonderful restaurants. The food, service, and atmosphere are unbeatable.

I am a big fan of Song of the Sea for a short stay.

Have a wonderful trip!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanibel without children

Agree with all, Blue Dolphin is way quiet and relaxing, stayed there a few days last fall. Only a handful of units with a small continental breakfast in the courtyard, good way to meet your neighbors. Beach was 50 feet away (literally, I counted)