We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourmaline Tribute

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Tourmaline Tribute

After communicating with TA about the recent events, they have indicated that it is fine to post a thread reflecting on our experiences with Tourmaline and to give anyone who wishes to thank her an opportunity to do so here. Please confine your comments to this purpose only; negativity or comments regarding editorial policies will likely force TA to close this thread.

As many of you know, Tourmaline has left the forum and resigned as Destination Expert. Anyone wishing details about this can pm me.

As I stated in the first thread, I will miss T's keen insights, sense of fairness, level-headedness and seemingly tireless efforts to help people learn more about our beautiful island. Not to mention her incredible knowledge base.

Well done, Tourmaline. Well Done!

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

Way to go! Tour helped make my vacation very special. I had inside information that allowed me to plan then sit back and enjoy! I have watched her do the same for others over and over again and on every topic possible. Her loss is already deeply felt and will continue to be felt by all of us. I will own now some of what I have added to threads I have taken from her as both a tribute and a way to pass her sage advice onto others. Given how hard I work to get my vacations words alone to not express my gratitude for how important it was for it to be so special (I would never in a millions years have tried fish tacos but I figured since everything else she had told me was true why not go for it- and they were excellent!)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

As I said before, I feel like my friend moved away. I do hope you come back to visit now and then. Thank you for all the advice, especially when I would pm you and you would so graciously offer suggestions, numerous ones. I hope you continue to enjoy the islands, especially your beloved Captiva. I also hope to be able to read a trip report when you return!

While no one can replace you, we will try to answer questions as best we can, but since we don't have the extent of experience that you do, we must return to the islands often and stay as long as possible to gain that experience! What a burden!

Take care, God bless, and thanks again!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

Adding my thanks again. Tour always has been gracious and helpfuo to me. The first time I PM'd Tour I had read in a FL guidsebook that Captiva residents did not like tourists. (honest!) As I wanted to go there during my trip to Sanibel, I asked if it was true and she reassured me. And I can conifrm it wasn't true, especially afther that great afternoon out on Jensen's dock, watching manatees and talking with the locals.

Good luck, Tour and take care. I'll miss you! And once I get back from the December trip I will post a sidetrip to Sanibel installment too :-)

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

I second what everyone has said here. Tour's attention to detail is unsurpassed. We took our first trip to Sanibel this past May to scope it out. Like others, we relied on this forum and fell in love - so much that we are returning with kids and grandkids in two weeks. Her advice, comparisons, and opinions helped us tremendously. Her honesty, integrity and forth rightness are personal qualities which no matter what anyone tries, cannot be taken away. Way to go Tour; stay true to yourself. Thanks for everything!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

Thanks mysanibel for arranging this

I've always adored Tourmaline for her helpfulness, dedications, integrity, and, of yes, her sense of humour

Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

What a sad loss to this forum.

Tourmaline's insight, experience, and advice was sincere and always on point. I have been going to Sanibel for many years and yet always found something new to try based on Tourmaline's posts. It has been clear she has been a great help to many Sanibel 'newbies' as well as those of us who just need a little something different on our trip.

While I have no idea what transpired to make her leave, the loss is ours, no doubt. I will miss her posts and her advice. Thank you for what you gave this forum, Tourmaline.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

Thank you MSC for arranging this.

Tour - I already miss you greatly, we have shared many laughs together. I know where to find you on otc and will do so frequently. You advice was always spot on and your knowledge of the islands incredible. Thank you for all your help to me and to every one of us, Groundhogs are now my second favorite animal! ( Sorry, my rescue dog has to be first or he will eat me, lol ; ))

Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

I second,third,fourth,and fifth what everybody else has said.The one voice of reason and calm here.Sad to see this happen.You will be missed.You were/are very good what you do.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

You know that you're a Touraholic when you are lucky enough to be on the most beautiful place on earth, with the people you love the most, and Tour's advice is ringing in the back of your head. I swear I thought of her so many times this past trip!

Thanks Tour! And to steal a phrase from you, "It's been a shell of a good time"!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourmaline Tribute

Several months ago, when it became apparent that our family trips to Sanibel would be fewer in the future, I sent Tourm a PM with my personal thanks for her generosity and for the way she always went "above and beyond" to help me and so many others over the years. I recall telling her that I believe the Sanibel forum is the absolute BEST on TA and I think that really is due, in GREAT part, to her. While there are many knowledgeable and helpful contributors here, I will always think of her as the constant and the cornerstone...the one we could count on to offer helpful suggestions and...when our special island faced difficult challenges...she was also a strong advocate and a cheerleader for Sanibel / Captiva.

Rather than ramble on and on, I will just say "DITTO" to all the sentiments already posted and add my own big THANK YOU to Tourmaline...a very special "cyberfriend" to Sanibel and to all of us.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island