We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida Trip Report Part 3

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
837 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Florida Trip Report Part 3

Our Florida Trip Report Part 1 is posted in the Hollywood forum

Our Florida Trip Report Part 2 is posted in the Key Biscayne forum

First I wanted to thank mysanibelcondo, Tourmaline and Shell Net for helping us plan our short stay on Sanibel.

Wednesday 9/10: We left the Hollywood area early and drove to Sanibel. Weather was our concern. Hurricane Ike had left Cuba and was churning up the gulf.

We arrived on the island around 10:00 am and stopped at the vistor center. There we found out that storm surge from Ike had caused flooding around the light house, Gulf Side and Blind Pass.

We ended up driving past the high water at Blind Pass and drove to Captiva Beach. I heard about the shells, but I was suprised how many. The beach was covered with the. So we learned the art of shelling, not thinking how we were going to get that many home.

We drove back across the island to have lunch at Grandmas Dots. We found a large hole in front of it, the docks to the side flooded and chairs stacked on the tables. They were closed.

Time for plan B. My wife asked me "What about that Cow place we passed?" The Island Cow, I remember reading in TA about it and it is open, so we went. It was a nice place and we enjoyed it. My wife had the pulled pork with fried pickels(yuck) and I had a claim basket that was not the little red plastic basket but a large tray.

We had a 1:30 tour with Tarpon Bay Explorers Nature and Sealife Tour. And it was canceled do to ruff water.

Plan B, we drove to Ding Darling and stopped at the education center. It was slow and we had a great time talking with the volunters there. Then we drove the loop road, making many stops along the way. We also walked the Shell Mound Trail.

Before we left, we did stop to pick up a t shirt.

We had to be on the road to head toward Tampa. We enjoyed our short time on Sanbel and we will be back.

Part 4 of our Florida Trip Report will be posted in the Tampa forum.

Link to our travel pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida Trip Report Part 3

What a shame you had so little time on the island as there is so much to enjoy.

At least you got to see Ding Darling,hope you managed to spot some of the 'locals' along the loop.

sounds like you were very lucky with the shell collecting. Hope you managed to get them all home.

You didn't miss that much with Grandma dots being closed;it's in a nice spot but over-rated in my opinion.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida Trip Report Part 3

Nice pictures by the way. Should have looked at them first as that would have answered one of my questions,and just look at those waves!

Thanks for sharing.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida Trip Report Part 3

I am so glad you got to the island but so soryy Ike made it tough- but it sounds like you reaped some benefits as well! I could not find Sanibel pictures- but I seem to be losing it today so help would be appreciated!

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
837 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida Trip Report Part 3

Hi true2beme,

Try this link: …google.com/rwdwTA/Florida2008SanibelIsland#

We also enjoyed Maine last year!!!

Hi Dewsburyman,

There were no locals on the loop when we were there. We were stopping when the other cars were. Sometimes we saw something, sometimes we didn't. For us, Ding Darling is a special place and we want to return and spend more time.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida Trip Report Part 3

Sounds like you were able to make some lemonade with the lemons Ike threw your way. Glad you had a nice visit and thanks for the report!

6. Re: Florida Trip Report Part 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 06:19