We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lilburn, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

Just returned from out trip to Paradise. My husband and I stayed at a condo at Sundial and it was perfect. 20 feet from the beach, spectacular view & great room.

Shelling for this Colorado woman was great. I've never seen so many shells. Shipped them home because we had so many. Beatiful sunrises from our bed every morning.

Took a trip over to Cayo Costa & found several sand dollars. Fun trip on Captiva Cruises.

Great food (conch chowder & fish fingers) at Doc Ford's. Enjoyed breakfast at Jerry's, Island Cow, Lighthouse Cafe & Sanibel Cafe. We had a wonderful dinner at Jacaranda on our last night. Also had an incredible Blackened Salmon at the Mucky Duck in Captiva.

Only down side were the bites we received on out last walk on the beach. Forgot to use bug spray!! Didn't even know that we had been bitten until we got back home. I have about 50 but my husband has over 100 bites. Itching like crazy.

Had great service & met very friendly people. Looking forward to our next trip to this beautiful place.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

Thanks for the trip report - I hope those bites go away! Try some cortisone cream on them, or some like Tea Tree Oil to help with the itch. So glad you had a great time.

iowa
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

i can vouch for the Tea Tree oil.

Thanks for the report.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

I think someone also suggested vinegar - neutralizes the acid or something like that.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

Thanks for the report and so glad you had fun! Sorry about the bites:-(

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

I can vouch for tea tree oil too.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

Sundial is an awesome place! My wife and I stayed there last September and we are seriously considering it again next year for our 15th anniversary! The shelling was so fun - you just have to experience it to appreciate it. I hope the bites heal soon.

7. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2009, 20:47
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

vinegar is acid so that won't work.Camphorphenol(available from Publix) works quite well if you don't mind the smell.

Sanibel Island
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

Thank you for the trip report. Glad you had a great time!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Sanibel Trip 9-20 thru 9-27

Now I have never used vinegar on a bug bite, but I have found sources online and in my 'vinegar' book that if you soak a cotton ball in it and put it on your sting, it will make the itch go away and the swelling go down.

Another recommendation was rubbing the inside of a banana peel on the bite. No idea why either of these would work, now I have read about them, I would be happy to try them out on those annoying bites!

Anything that works is good : )