We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

(Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

SW Florida
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Topic
(Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

Sanibel Island is in Lee County.

Unable to find numbers specific to the island as yet.

++++++++++++++++++

County takes tourism hit

Originally posted on: Friday, October 03, 2008 by Ryan Hughes

Last updated on: 10/3/2008 4:57:49 PM

LEE COUNTY: Brand new numbers into the Lee County Visitor and Convention Bureau show a significant decline in tourism in August 2008 over August 2007.

"We had a tropical storm, with what's happening with the economy, you can't get away without turning on the TV and hearing bad news," said Suya Davenport, Executive Director of the Bureau.

Records indicate 352,000 people visited Lee County in August. That's a decline of 16-percent compared to the previous year.

Article continues here -

www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Davenport
Davenport
Central Florida, FL
England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: (Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

The 'credit crunch' coupled with high air fares?

SW Florida
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: (Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

Well, yes. High price of oil/gasoline as well. When the price of a barrel of oil rises, EVERYTHING goes up, it seems. Plus, it may be that even locals are not willing to use so much gasoline to come to the coast and play.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: (Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

It's very hard to extrapolate Sanibel numbers from Lee County statistics. Like the real estate market, thing are very different across the Bay.

Our bookings this year have been on par with prior years with only one open week to date for us. I haven't heard any concerns from our Pointe Santo Owner's group either.

Perhaps Sanibel and Captiva cater to a demographic that has distinct characteristics. I know a couple of our guests came to Sanibel this year instead of going overseas or to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Hopefully things will calm down nonetheless. I know that the Sanibel restaurants have been hurting as it seems that folks are showing up on island but choosing to eat in more to save some money.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: (Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

It will be the same for every county in the nation, unfortunately. A whole lotta belt tightening going on.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: (Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

I might be mistaken here, but a few condos I keep my eye on on VRBO, just because I like them and want to see how they rent , seemed to have had a few cancellations - most noticeably in the spring "peak season".

By that I mean, they appeared to be rented in Feb and March and now appear to have openings.

Good for you MSC! Glad to hear your customers are staying true to you. I'm not changing my vacations plans due to the economy, but I do change what I drive to and buy in my home state.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: (Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

The fact that openings come and go might not be unusual; most condos have a complete cancellation refunds up to 60 or so days prior to arrival so sometimes folks hold a week until they get their plans together.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: (Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

From what I understand Jan, Feb, March look very strong already for pre bookings on both Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach.

We have a perfect Sat-Sat Feb and March and Easter is late.

Fort Myers Beach was very busy this past weekend, Casa Ybel was nearly full this last weekend, people were wandering from parking lot to parking lot on Friday looking for open restaurants and things to do on the Islands at 8:30PM.

Businesses are still closing early or being slow to reopen after Sept. cleanings.

The Mucky Duck was busy all week and all summer and spring except for September.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Casa Ybel Resort
Casa Ybel Resort
685 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
8. Re: (Lee) County Takes Tourism Hit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island