We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping on Sanibel

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Shopping on Sanibel

Hi everyone,

I was wondering... are any of the shops in Sanibel and Captiva open in the evening?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

I'm pretty sure the shops at Jerry's Plaza are open in the early evening.

Atlanta
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

we are in Sanibel now and the anser is no. 99% of the shops are closed pretty early. WE drove back over the toll bridge tonight and walked around at the Tanger outlet mall. I love it here, but it would be nice to have some evening activities

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

Hi, mscool!

It really depends on the season. Now, during off season, there wouldn't be much open at night, but during high season, most of the stores are open of an evening. When will you be visiting?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm going to have to tear myself away from the beach and pool during the day to do a little shopping.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

Why not go shopping in the late afternoon when you are sunned out and then have a later supper? Make sure you go to that little store called Suncatchers next to Over Easy Cafe. My favorite store.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

I love Suncatcher's Dream too. Another shop with great gift items (jewelry especially) is Pandora's Box.

Level Contributor
963 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

be aware that everything closes soooooooooooooooo early.......... we tried and tried to find shops open during our stay, but by 6-7, had no luck at all and ended up paying the toll and going to the outlets ....... soooooooo, sanibel is not a place for "real" shopping" - just a few small stores here and there - nothing exciting :( :( - so be prepared if shopping is what you like to do at night, there is nothing to do but the supermarket and 2-3 stores beside it :)

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

I'll say it again, shopping in the evening depends on the time of year -- during season, Dec-Mar almost everywhere is open until 8-9pm at night, shoulder seasons Oct-Nov and Apr-May hours begin to contract and June-September lots of places will close up around 6-7pm and may even close for the entire month of Sept. I know we're getting a lot of first hand experiences here, but please don't generalize a one-time of year experience into advice for all. Sanibel shopping is very, very seasonal. The best help to someone is to say, "I was there in early/late month and this was my experience then."

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

Nicely put, Shell Net.

I'd also like to add that there is plentiful shopping on Sanibel Island. I find it does rival and surpass beach towns across the world in the stores it offers. If you are there in off season, like the poster above was, you will need to check hours and plan your shopping accordingly.

Here are the three big shopping areas:

sanibel-island-videos.com/sanibel-shopping.h…

Also, here is a list of the stores at Periwinkle Place, which also includes a park for children.

http://www.periwinkleplace.com/

In addition to these shopping complexes, there are many more stores to peruse. There are wonderful book stores, resale shops, antique stores, clothing stores, etc. A great way to explore is to ride your bike up and down Periwinkle, stopping in to visit the establishments that look interesting to you.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping on Sanibel

Do not miss the Islander Trading Post. What an amazing place this is. We stopped in here on our last visit. The place is filled with so many cool Antiques and collectables. The husband and wife that work there were so friendly and helped us ship a few things home.

http://islandertradingpost.biz/