We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

My husband wanted to visit a different location in Florida after many years of coming to Sanibel and Captiva. I told him to decide where and plan a trip since I wanted to come back to paradise. We visited Okalossa Island near Destin. The condo he selected was gorgeous with a nice view of the ocean. The beach was powdery white sand but not a single shell. The sand dunes were pretty and we enjoyed walking through a state preserve where they were located.

The second day he knew he made a mistake and wished we had returned to Sanibel. We missed the local island shopping, delicious restaurant's, shells, the drive between Sanibel and Captiva, the lush green foliage, and friendly people of the island. There is no place like home even if it is your second home.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

Lol, what a great trip report! I hope you still had a wonderful time anyway...

My hub always says don't you want to try somewhere else? I can't think of anywhere I want to go, besides maybe Hawaii.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

Or St. John...

Thanks for the thoughts. It hard to sometimes appreciate what you've got!

Level Contributor
964 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

It really does depend on what you enjoy in a vacation :) - We enjoy the Destin area :).

Sanibel
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

CaptivaSunset! So glad you enjoyed our wonderful islands and everything they have to offer!

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

Thanks for report and I have to agree...

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

We did the same thing in 2007 and decided to rent a house in Islamorada. That was to be our beach trip for 07. There was just no comparison for us. The second we got off the plane back home I was online booking a Captiva trip! Three months later we were on Captiva vowing to never make that mistake again! My kids want to go no where else. I plan to try other places, but we will always make our summer trip to Captiva. Oh...............I wish I were Sunny, going to Sanibel very, very soon.

7. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2009, 20:36
central nj
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

CaptivaSunset - I totally agree with you....we've been so many places, and we keep returning to Sanibel...it is one of the few places in the world that I totally relax (except last week when we took the 3 toddler grandkids-fun, but too much work!). I never get tired of walking the beaches, checking out the shops, and eating at the great restaurants...it's a near perfect place! Two of my other favorite places are Lake Tahoe (my mountain vacation) and Palm Desert (me desert vacation)...if I could spend the rest of my days on vacation I would be so content rotating my time between these 3 serene places...

9. Re: There is no place like Sanibel & Captiva Island!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 04:17