We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling near Sanibel Island...

League City, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shelling near Sanibel Island...

Could anybody please help me by telling me the best place along Sanibel to find the nicest and largest shells? Little confused about the east and west sides! Also, is there good shelling on Bowman's Island or Cayo Costa? Thank you very much!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling near Sanibel Island...

Sanibel is shaped like a smile, sticking out into the gulf. The east end of the island is closest to the mainland, you can see Ft Myers beach from this end, and it is where the lighthouse is located. The west end is not quite so dense with condos and has more homes, and you cannot see Ft Myers beach from here so much, just the gulf.

Any place on the island is good for shelling. It all depends on the tides and currents, and how the wind is blowing as to where shells have rolled in.

There is not a Bowmans's island, perhaps you mean Bowman's beach? It is located on the western end of the island, as you drive toward Captiva from Sanibel. It has public parking for a fee.

Cayo Costa can be good for shelling too, and is a fun day trip to take when visiting.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelling near Sanibel Island...

Mcnaught, I love how you described Sanibel. Shaped like a smile. I never heard it described that way but it is a perfect description.

Nonellno I found nice shells at Gulfside park this past summer. In past years it was our family tradition to get a map of Sanibel and visit all the beaches. I can't think of a beach on Sanibel that we didn't like.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling near Sanibel Island...

Hi Nonellno,

I once posted the same question, take a look at this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/5uud69

McNaught, your Smile description made me SMILE !!!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling near Sanibel Island...

Perfect, Mcnaught. Last year the best line was 'sad lane', I think you just coined this years...n: )))

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling near Sanibel Island...

Thanks guys, glad I made you smile :)

Sanibel is my "happy place", and I am sure for many of you too.

SW Florida
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelling near Sanibel Island...

Generally speaking, the Lighthouse Beach is good for miniatures, I think because of proximity to the bay, which is sort of a nursery for a lot of shell fish. However, I've found nice big stuff there too, and it remains my fave shelling spot because I've found the nicest things in my collection there.

But really, any beach on Sanibel is good, and if you're not having any luck there, move to the next beach! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Tink *~*~*

7. Re: Shelling near Sanibel Island...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 10:17