We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

An FYI for those researching airfares to Sanibel or other SW Florida airports.

Our suburban Chicago airport (Rockford, IL) just announced that a new carrier will be providing service from RFD to Fort Myers / Punta Gorda commencing December 22. Introductory fares are reportedly $119 each way to promote the new service.

Glitch is that flights from RFD are Fridays and Mondays only, but that would work for many. Equipment is said to be new Airbus aircraft with plasma TV's and lots of other gizmos.

I went to the website (The carrier is DirectAir / www.visitdirectair.com) and it seems these folks fly from a few other select areas into Ft. Myers / Punta Gorda.

Might be a good opportunity for those within 150 miles or so of Chicago / Rockford International Airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

P.S.

The website indicates these are the other points of service to Florida for Direct Air. Perhaps this is not news to many of you, but it is new information for me so thought I would share it.

Fly direct to Punta Gorda (Ft. Myers area) from Worcester, Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Toledo, Plattsburgh and Niagara Falls, or to Orlando-Sanford from Kalamazoo and Worcester

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

Great info and news. Thanks Grandma Mac!!

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

American also has some cheap flights from ORD.

Enter their website and click "My dates are flexible"

You can check up to a month window at a time

They have some fares listed < $200 before taxes and fees with limited dates.

One example I found was nonstops ORD-RSW for $118 ($139 including taxes + fees) roundtrip (midday flights) 11/18 - 11/25. Almost makes me want to drive to CHI and spend a week down there.

A good tool for cheap flights is another travel site. It checks cheapest fares for all airlines for months at a time. - I dont know if we are allowed to post it here because its a competitor

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

Forgot to add - $139 is the round trip price. I thought this was pretty cheap considering all the fuel surcharges that airlines syill have.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

Here Comes A Really Interesting Update!! Received this notice in my mailbox this AM. For those in the Chicago / Southern Wisconsin area (or any other served by DirectAir)...you may want to check this out. I have never seen an airline promotion quite like this one before. Bottom line is that DirectAir is offering pre-reservation of $140 tickets from Chicago / Rockford to Ft. Myers / Punta Gorda for $140 ROUND TRIP. You reserve the tickets...do not have to reserve the actual dates nor provide the names of travelers. Take a look at: http://www.visitdirectair.com/familyties2009

I have no financial interest in any of this...just like to pass along a great travel bargain possibility.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

Good Information - Thanks! I have family in Chicago and will be passing this along.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
278 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

Make sure they check out Spirit Air also. They have some really great deals. Brother flew to Chicago this summer for $49. round trip. Both my kids flew to Detroit in Aug. and it was $39 round trip. And that is not a typo. Sign up for the email updates.

8. Re: Airfare Chicago to SW Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 19:16