We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs

Are bugs a big problem? I notices on some foroms that bug spray is recommended and our resort, Shell Island Beach, has screened in balconies.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs

All of Florida is, or can be, buggy. Warm, wet. Nice place to raise a family.

Good idea to bring repellent but depending on time of year, time of day, wind condtions and recent rainfall you may or may not notice them.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs

Ted - most places have screened in lanai's and a ceiling fan for breeze and to help get rid of the bugs.

If it's still and or muggy or dawn/dusk wear insect repellant with deet.

NJ
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs

We have been on Sanibel Island since Sunday and have not had a problem with bugs at all. Maybe, because it hasn't been humid. The weather has been great.

Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs

Thnks, I'm relieved!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs

Thanks for the update LCXY - Looking forward to your trip report when you get home!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs

You will notice most insects early in the morning or in the evening..particularly if there is no breeze. Our lanai's ar screened to keep out the insects but no seeums can still get through. I live on the water and it also keeps the birds out. The other thing you need to watch out for are fire ants...from time to time I get careless (as I did last night) and step on a hill. They are mean and bite like crazy. I made the mistake of planting some orchids at dusk and dug right in to a hill. Within seconds my feet and legs were covered. Rare example though..and do not worry about bugs. Enjoy!!!

7. Re: Bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island