We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night launch of STS-126

Jericho, Vermont
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Night launch of STS-126

We have just returned home (Vermont) from Sanibel. Of all the interesting things, was last Friday night (10/14), we went down to the beach, out from Pointe Santo, and were able to see the Space Shuttle launch! Over 160 miles away, but we were able to see the bright orange flame from the liquid tank. Then as it burned out and the solid rockets took over, it changed to white. We were able to watch it as it climbed, but it was heading east and was down below the horizon after about a minute. Something to think about if you happen to be there on a clear night when there is a night launch scheduled. For you lucky ones still there, you might be able to see the shuttle on it's home flight. Sometimes it passes over that section of Florida.

Jay

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night launch of STS-126

Awesome!! I am going to check when the home flight is scheduled - my daughter is obsessed with the planets and space. Thanks for the heads up. And what a show! So glad you were able to catch it.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night launch of STS-126

My husband went out to the causeway islands to watch it and said it was very nice -- not as nice as being closer, but interesting and quite visable nontheless.

Thanks for posting the info, it didn't occur to me to mention it.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night launch of STS-126

How very cool!

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night launch of STS-126

I am so glad you got to see it. We saw it also. Always swear we are going to make the trek to the other side but never do lol. Night launches are the best. It is really hard to see a day launch but we have a few times. The boom when they come back is also great. I always stand outside and it reminds me of the days when the planes broke the sound barrier when I was growing up. It will get you right up out of bed if you are sleeping in a stilt house. LOL

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night launch of STS-126

Welcome home FL Great timing!

6. Re: Night launch of STS-126

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 09:25