We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Itinerary Ideas

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
817 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Itinerary Ideas

Hello, I've never been to Sanibel Island before and am traveling down with my parents, my husband, and my brother and his girlfriend. We're staying for a week over the Christmas holiday. We love beaches, swimming, fun happy hours, definitely interested in seeing some wildlife, and we'll have a rental car (so we're not limited to walking/biking distance).

I'd love to hear some ideas about must-see attractions on the island, any day-trips that you'd recommend, and anything special that happens this time of year that you could share with me.

Thanks for your help!

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Itinerary Ideas

You will get lots of ideas it is a wonderful place! And as others will tell you you soon become addicted:-)

IMHO you want to visit as many different beaches as you can since each offers different shells and views -make sure to see a sunset!. I would highly recommend doing a kayak tour with Tarpon Bay- even if it would be your first time it is easy and lovely. Also visit Ding Darling- I suggest both a tram tour and doing your own drive or bike through. Also the Shell Museum is great and they will help you identify your great finds! And get out on the water either via a private charter (if want suggestions let us know) or through Captiva Cruises. If anyone likes to fish it is excellent as well whether you do catch and release or keep what you catch.

Personally once on the island we had no desire to leave and were quite busty doing the above, looking for shells, relaxing, swimming, looking for shells, and did I mention looking for shells:-) Even for those who cannot imagine it it is addicting! I will let others who know way better than me cover must eat places…but one note Pinocchio’s Ice cream is a must!

And people on this forum can answer anything you need to know. Suny is off to paradise for the next 10 days but will be back with a full report for all of us- and with luck she'll post live from the island to give us all our fix!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
467 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Itinerary Ideas

I would recommend the candlelighting Christmas eve service at Chapel by the Sea. It was wonderful sitting outside by the Gulf, hearing the wave, seeing the star, and singing Christmas carols.

Check other publications for other services.

About 10 years ago, Santa stopped by our condo on a golf cart and dropped off stockings for the little ones (This was prearranged and paid for). Other complexes/resorts may have something like this. Ask your manager/front desk.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Itinerary Ideas

About the only off-island trip I recommend - especially if the weather is a little cool for the beach as it can sometimes be at Christmas- is to take a day trip to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary.

It is run by the Audubon and gives you a glimpse into the aura of the Everglades and is about a 90 minute drive away. We combine it with a swing over to Naples for shopping and a meal before heading back to the island.

4. Re: Christmas Itinerary Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island