We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

denver
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

I really need a little R&R after a busy life and a recent break up...that wasn't too painful :). I am looking for a more upscale retreat- though families and children surrounding are no bother-I'd love an easy to get around option, but nice and comfortable relaxing room, as a "treat/retreat".

I have been leaning toward Sanibel Inn or South Seas-any suggestions for a single traveler (though not wanting to live the "single life") would be great- tranquility and artistic inspiration are the main focus of this little get away- thanx for the suggestions!

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

Check out Song of the Sea, West Wind Inn, and Island Inn. Actually, most any place would be great. Although, I think you say upscale, South Seas is the only large resort that comes to mind. Sanibel/Captiva are great islands and would be a perfect place to visit alone. Very safe, lots to do/or not, quiet or not. It is the nicest place to relax and undwind, regroup. I would have no problem staying there by myself, my mom has done it several times and always enjoyed it alone.

west palm beach, FL
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

If you want to stay on the west coast of FL, I'd maybe go a little more south to naples. Maybe La Playa or the Ritz?

I personally think sanibel/captiva is a little too remote--not a lot to do.

I planned the same kind of solo trip (similar reasons) and ended up in Key West. I stayed on the quiet end of Duval at the Dewey House. It is upscale (for key west), quiet, but within easy walking distance to all kinds of things. I avoided the craziness of duvall street and went to many, upscale restaurants as well. It's a great place for solo travel, I found.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

I love Sanibel and Captiva...Just one small suggestion..if you have never been to either island you should know it is very dark at night to keep the natural setting for the wild life. After the first night you will be used to it and it will probably not bother you. If you are arriving at night make sure you have really good directions and a flashlight. I found it just a little spooky my first time arriving at night...I wouldn't think twice about it now because I know my way around. Have a great trip!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

I have to disagree with lucilee. There is a lot to do on Sanibel, if you like the kinds of things there are to do there, and some of them cannot be done in Naples. Sanibel's natural beaches have amazing shelling. The Ding Darling National Wildlife preserve is amazing. There are great restaurants, excellent bike paths on Sanibel, and much more. You can hear live music at many restaurants at lunch and dinner- I especially enjoy Mark Vee at the Key Lime Bistro on Captiva.

I love the Sanibel Inn. They have great sun shelters with chaises that they will set up for you on the beach ( for a small fee), so it's the only place I've stayed where I spent a whole day on the beach.

denver
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

Thank you WhiteDiamond...I notice you recommend Song of the sea quite a bit...so are you not really a fan of Sanibel inn? Or is it too family focused? What are the differences between the two? Are you from down there (just curious ;) )

denver
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

Thanks for all the input guys- Napels looks amazing but I really had my heart set on Sanibel- its kind of weird as I had never heard of the place before last month when I started having dreams that I was shelling on the beach! Something is drawing me there...but I hope not in a creepy way like that new Stephen King book I just read ;)

remote is ok I'll probably just sit on the beach, drink coffee, and wander around town...

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

Kara - I think Sanibel is a wonderful place to travel solo, especially for quiet reflection. I was just out on Periwinkle shopping by myself, drove the very dark streets back to the condo we are staying in and am considering walking the beach tonight alone. I am here with my hub, kids and extended family, but enjoy solitude.

I love Captiva, we are considering spending next Thanksgiving there instead of Sanibel - but I would personally would rather stay on Sanibel alone over Captiva. Mostly because it is easier. I think whitediamondscoot recommended Song of the Sea over Sanibel Inn as it is geared toward adults. Song, Sanibel and Seaside Inns are all lovely.

Another option I would recommend would be Sunset Beach Resort or West Wind Inn, I like the West Gulf location better for shelling over East Gulf - and West Wind Inn has a restaurant and pool bar. Also look at the Blue Dolphin if you don't need a pool.

Let us know what you decide - we are full of ideas!!!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

Nothing at all wrong with the Sanibel Inn- we have stayed there and like it a lot. But if I was solo I too would stay next door at Song of the Sea- just a little nicer atmosphere without the kids and maybe a little more style. But either is a good choice.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

Hi Kara,

wherever you stay you have made the right choice in opting for Sanibel. It's a beautiful place with natural unspoilt beaches and a great variety of wildlife.

Don't be put off by words by remote and very dark. The streets have no lights as Sanibel is a Turtle nesting site and such lighting would confuse them but most complexes have some subdued lighting so it's not totally dark.

As for remote,well you are only a short hop from FMB but you are definitely in another world.

I note you hope to walk around town but be advised there is NO town centre as such. Most shops are spread along Periwinkle way though there are a couple of small shopping centres (Tahitian gardens and Periwinkle place)with a mix of shops and restaurants.

Naples has many more shops and a lovely beach but just doesn't have the same magic.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Think I am coming down ALONE- SBI or Captiva suggestions?

Dewsbury, I was not trying to discourage anyone from Sanibel by mentioning how dark it is at night. I was merely trying to give information to a first time Sainbel visitor that I wish I had for my first late night arrival in Sanibel.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island