We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Restaurants

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Restaurants

I know this topic gets covered a lot, but who doesn't like talking about food!! We will be in Sanibel next month and we would like to try some different restaurants. We have already been to Island Cow, Cheeburger, Matzaluna's, Doc Ford's, Jacaranda, Lazy Flamingo & Key Lime Bistro. What places do we NEED to go to this year? What are your favorite's?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Restaurants

Green house grill and Sanibel grill.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Restaurants

I'd second Sanibel Grill. We just came back from a late lunch at Gramma Dot's (only go for lunch -- the mesquite-grilled grouper sandwich with home-made potato chips is wonderful!). McT's is a solid choice. We realy like Beachview's steak sandwich in the bar or the German night specials. Breakfasts are terrofic at Over Easy Cafe and Sanibel Cafe. Trader's is one of our favorites (and if it's a little pricey for you, take a look at the bar menu). And Timber's is a solid choice.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Restaurants

I will 3rd the Sanibel Grill. We also love Gramma Dots for lunch or dinner but I tend to usually order off the lunch menu at dinner. I think they charge a dollar more that.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Restaurants

Sanibel Grill (we stop in there at least a few times during the two weeks of vaca), Over Easy for breakfast, Traders, Island Cow and just about any place where I can get waited on and not cook!

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Restaurants

I agree with the Traders and Sanibel Grill recommendations - they are always on our must do list. Schnappers, but that seems more fitting for lunch. I've been hearing some great things about Sweet Mellissa's. Haven't tried it yet, but plan on it this year.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Restaurants

Sweet Melissa's is suppose to move into the old LaVigna site. They have been doing some major renovations but I have not heard when it might be done. Twilight Cafe (in the old Riviera building) on West Gulf Drive has been getting great reviews (same owner and chef from Twilight pasta fame) open for breakfast lunch and dinner....I have not tried it myself as I tend to go to old favorites like Traders. I did not see that on your list - it is a must do - for lunch or for dinner! Favorite dinner selection is Macadamia encrusted grouper with thai peanut sauce..... also agree with everyone on Sanibel Grill - great food, fun place.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Restaurants

Timbers a MUST for us and the Lazy Flamingo 2 for their great seasoned fries.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Restaurants

Thanks everyone! I am definitely putting Sanibel Grill, Trader's and Timber's on the list. How about the Thistle Lodge? Worth trying? Kid friendly? Keep the ideas coming!!

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Restaurants

Thistle Lodge NOT kid-friendly, very, very expensive, even for Sanibel. Better for romantic or special dinner.

USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Restaurants

Our favorites are Mad Hatter & Old Captiva House. We've also had wonderful meals at Thistle Lodge and Sanibel Steak House. Over Easy is great for breakfast and lunch.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island