We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Beach Access for handicapped

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ormond Beach, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Public Beach Access for handicapped

Which public beach has the easiest access for people who cannot walk long distances? It seems the parking lots are blocks and blocks from the beach itself.

Is there a problem parking at a hotel where you are not staying and accessing the beach from there?

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Beach Access for handicapped

Lighthouse Beach has close parking - and a wooden ramp to access beach also West Gulf and Tarpon Bay has a wooden ramp-parking across the street...not far. Billy's Bike Rentals offers a Beach wheelchair. Most hotels or condo complexes require a parking pass display.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
152 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Beach Access for handicapped

Also agree with Lighthouse beach....parking closer than at Bowmans Beach area. Parking payment is through a meter system at this public beach but wouldn't suggest parking at a private hotel/condo you are not at. The costs at the public beach areas are not bad. Another choice might be beaches on the causeway leading to the Ft. Myers Mainland...can drive very close and might be easy to get to the water for any handicapped situations.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Beach Access for handicapped

This was a good question that I wasn't sure about. I would suggest you call the City of Sanibel Public Works Dept 239.472.3700 - they are take care of the beaches. They have a list on the city's website mysanibel.com of amenities at each beach, including which are handicapped accessible.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of small public beach access points right off the beach where there is parking only for permitted residents AND those with a handicapped permit on their car. These are generally not really marked and are pretty small (6 to 10 parking spaces). I just don't know which and where they are, but the city can help you.

While I was trying to find answers for you, I discovered something very interesting: Sanibel will provide an all-terrain wheelchair for up to 4 hours at no charge delivered from Billy's to those who request it. Information is located in the Public Works Section of the City website, but basically you call the police department & make the arrangements.

Ormond Beach, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Beach Access for handicapped

Thanks for the information.

Could someone tell me how far a walk it is to Tarpon Beach and to Bowman's Beach. Which one is closer to parking?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Beach Access for handicapped

Tarpon Beach would be closer to parking, than Bowman's Beach. Here is a link to the City of Sanibel for parking info:

mysanibel.com/Departments/Police-including-E…

Tarpon Beach is about a short city block away from the parking lot. I would also call the city and ask where the handicapped parking is for the beaches.

iowa
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Beach Access for handicapped

My mother had a stroke and tires quickly walking. We were at Sanibel last spring and I can tell you what we experienced.

Bowmans - way to long for her, she really tired out and had no place to rest when she got to the beach.

Light house was easy for her to get around.

Blind pass really great.

One thing that we found out about half way through... If you have a handicap tag, you do not have to pay at the handicap parking spots at the public parking.

Also be aware of how far and how difficult it is to get to the beach from your hotel. There are many options, but just be aware some are alot further than they appear.

7. Re: Public Beach Access for handicapped

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 15:16