We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreamin of Sanibel

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
iowa
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dreamin of Sanibel

It is -20 in Iowa today and that does not include the windchill. I only have my memories of Sanibel to get me through. i hope all of you on Sanibel are enjoying yourselves.

I was thinking of the sound of the waves, the warmth of the sun, beautiful sunsets and great food.

What is your favorite memory of Sanibel

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

It's only 55 degrees here and cloudy. Brrrrrrrr.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

Aaahhhhhh Shellebear, I understand your pain. When I left for work this morning the windchill was -47 here in St. Paul, MN. Our suburban school districts were smart enough to close for the day thank goodness.

I too thought of the sound of the waves crashing and the serenity of the entire area. I think my favorite memory is digging my toes into the warm sand and the comforting feeling of being surrounded by sunshine.

Now in comparison, the sun is shining brightly here today. You have to wear sunglasses due to the glare off the white snow which is frozen so hard it crunches when you walk. If you can hear anything through your earmuffs, scarves and jacket hood it is the sound of tires slipping on ice created by exhaust freezing when it meets the pavement!

Oh, how I appreciate Sanibel and my time spent there. It makes me realize how fortunate I am to have such opposite experiences and yet I always have something to dream about and wish for...grouper sandwiches, blooming flowers, green grass, etc.

Moline, IL
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

I'm in Iowa too! It is -20 with -40 wind chill and we are counting down the days till Sanibel (38). I like looking forward to the warm weather and 55 would feel like a heat wave right now : )

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

I'm having withdrawls too....

Slackeranda....Don't freeze I know your blood is thin living in Paradise.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

Right now it is about 7 degrees in NE Ohio - not too bad. My favorite memories are after a long cold Ohio Winter, that first step out of the doors from baggage claim at RSW, and that rush of warm air that greets you and the palm trees smile and say welcome! While it will be couple of months yet before we get there, I am already looking forward to:

Fish Tacos at Doc Fords.

Riding our bikes to Pinnochios for ice cream.

A Schnapper dog.

A good long run on the beach.

The beach or lanai with a book I'll buy from Sanibel Bookstore.

Just being there!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

55F? Heat wave! 16 below zero here this morning.

Fav memory - so many memories, everything, the smell of the beach, shelling at sunrise with my daughter, sound of the gulf in the dark from the lanai, the first glimpse of a special shell - when your heart jumps and your eyes widen with joy.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

I think that if you came down here for your vacation and it was only 55 degrees you would really be disappointed.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

slackeranda, you are right....55 is darn right cold for Sanibel and Florida in general. I would not want to pay for a vaca and be that cold. This time of year seems to be hit or miss for Florida as far as warm weather. Years back, I went to Key West the first week of February, people had winter jackets on for the week. It was darn right cold and a big disappointment. I thought how wrong could we be....going to the southernmost point? Wrong!

It's about 10 here today. BRRRR! Sunny though.

Sanibel dreaming....swaying palms and the sounds of them! (instead of the heat running through the house)

Moline, IL
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

Well last year I went to Sanibel in January and we had to wear long pants and jackets (prolly 65 degrees?) and it was still beautiful although I would have preferred a little warmer. It was just nice to be outside in the open air with a fresh breeze and sunshine.

washington dc
Level Contributor
59 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreamin of Sanibel

is it supposed to get warmer? we're arriving tomorrow for our first trip to sanibel... weather.com is forecasting temps in the 70's, but wunderground has low 60's