We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Itinerary

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington dc
Level Contributor
59 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel Itinerary

Making our first visit to Sanibel/Captiva this weekend as we look to escape the cold and inauguration madness here in DC. The area was recommended in my wife's fav book "1000 places" but thanks to this forum for many sharing experience and recommendations that we've used to put together our itinerary. Not sure what we're going to get in terms of weather, but looks like 4 clear days. We'll be traveling with our 2 daughters: 3 yr old and 7 mo. Here's what we've got planned and will provide a report once we return.

Sat: Flight gets in at 1 and we'll drive to island and arrive around check-in time. Saying at Sunset Beach Resort. Plan to check out the pool/beach there until dinner time. May try Doc Ford's this night or bring pizza to the room from sanibel pizza depending on how the girls are doing.

Sunday: Wake early to check out the shelling. We're not fanatics, but I know my 3 yr old is going to want to take home every shell on the beach. Otherwise plan to bike up to the lighthouse during the day/ check out stores and maybe the shell museum. Also try to work in some pool time. Then bike up to Sanibel grill for dinner and the ravens game (at least the beginning of it). Definitely psyched for fried grouper/shrimp.

Monday: Possible shelling in the morning depending on my daughter's interest level/ my tolerance for having shells overflowing from my suitcase. Then either bike darling or do the tram tour. More beach/pool time. Then check out the "nascrab" experience (any way to spot the fastest crab?) on our way to the bubble room (realize that food may not be the best, but i think will be a neat experience for both girls).

Tuesday: Shopping for souveniers/ any activities that we can't get enough of or didn't have time for. Leaving the island around 3 to catch our flight home.

That's it, not the longest vacation we've ever been on, but should be relaxing and enjoyable. Thanks again for all the posters here!

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Itinerary

Sounds great!

For shopping with a little one, go to Jerry's plaza and see the birds. The first store on the left has lots of things for little ones.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Itinerary

also, Perriwinkle place has a playground so you and the kids can play while your wife shops a bit.....

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Itinerary

There is a discrepancy on the different weather sites about what the weather will be like - Here is the local nbc station out of Ft Myers - the weather channel has higher temps, wunderground lower.

http://www.nbc-2.com/Weather/7day.shtml

I've traveled with kids that age - they might just be happy on the beach the whole time. Bring a fleece and water shoes/crocs for the little ones for the walk in the mornings. Doc Ford's is a good choice, make sure to go on the early side for no wait. THere is not a Sanibel Pizza - there is Island Pizza and Johnny's Pizza. My fav pizza on the island is Matzaluna's - fun, kid friendly Italian restaurant.

I also don't know how fun the shell museum will be for kids that age - maybe think about visiting the parrots at Periwinkle Park instead. OR at Jerry's like Steinbecke suggested. There are playgrounds across from the Sanibel Bean, at Bowman's Beach and at Periwinkle Place.

Are you going to have a car? Because if not, you will be biking home in the dark, and there are no street lights on Sanibel out of respect for the wildlife. Pack a flashlight for walking on the beach at night or if you will be coming home after dark. driving out for dinner might work better with little kids.

I haven't done the tram ride thru Ding, but try to find out how long it is - to see if you think your kids could deal with it. I am wondering about potty breaks for the 3 yo. There is also the Bailey Tract - between West Gulf and Periwinkle on Tarpon Bay Rd - you can bike or walk thru, we always have luck seeing gators in there, but it can be hit or miss.

Anyway - just my mommy suggestions, I hope you have a wonderful trip and come back to tell us about it!

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Itinerary

Hmmm....football and a fried grouper sandwich at Sanibel Grill? Throw in a cold bevie and it sounds like a perfect Sunday !

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
152 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel Itinerary

Good luck and enjoy! In regard to the shells remember please no live shelling. When we had a young daughter she really got into shells but didn't like to walk on them without her "beach shoes" due to the possible sharp edges. Also made a game out of let's find all different shapes, sizes, and colors.....went on to have a winning 4H Club presentation on shells a number of years later in the middle of Iowa!

FYI....two place to consider that she always enjoyed as a young child were the Bubble Room in Captiva if it is still there and the Island Cow off of Periwinkle. They both had a number of fun to look at things and fun menus.

Although a bit young depending on the situation might condsider a quick trip to the Ding Darling preserve if you think she would enjoy birds and gators?

Again, enjoy the trip and stay safe!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel Itinerary

It is cold this week - 70 high during the day 42 this morning. The Northern deep freeze is creeping down here. The days are still pleasant and sunny.

We have a new park - accross the street from the Bean (Sanibel Square) - It's called periwinkle park (I think)...Nice equipment and they have just put beautiful tarps over the whole park - the equipment tends to get pretty hot in the FL sun...There is a covered area with picnic tables too.

7. Re: Sanibel Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 08:22