We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls weekend trip report....

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Girls weekend trip report....

I was on Sanibel for the last few days, hastily planned girls weekend trip. Here is my report:

Jan 21 - morning flight to RSW, arrived early, car rental with National very easy (used costco, joined emerald club, just picked car in emerald aisle, showed drivers license and credit card at booth and on my way! On Sanibel by 1 pm. Stopped for lunch at Sanibel Bean - turkey club sandwich with italian capp, Very tasty and I needed a jolt of caffeine. Checked into Breakers West early and headed straight to the beach. A little cooler than normal, but since I left zero degree weather, it felt awesome! Walked for about an hour, cleaned up, did a little shopping and headed back to the airport to pick up my friend.

Bought groceries at Jerry’s and off to Sanibel Grill for a late dinner. Excellent as always - we shared the spinach dip, which is absolutely the best ever - I ate the crunchberry salad and my friend had a burger.

Jan 22 - Thursday - Still a little cool by Florida standards. Lol, not to me though. Absolutely gorgeous day. I woke early, negative low tides in the early am - walked the sand bar. There were quite a few people with lots of shells, I only found live ones. Tons of whelks, BIG horse conchs, tulips, alphabet cones - all with owners. I’ll post pics of the horse conchs later - several were on the sand bar, so I gently picked them up and waded out as far as I could go to gently place them down in deeper water. I was most pleased to find a baby octopus washed up on the sand bar - scooped him up in a big shell, all the while he was staring at me with his big eye - and placed him gently into the gulf. He was so cute and wiggled away....

Walked up to Finnemore’s to rent bikes, rode all around ‘town’, stopping in shops that are difficult to get to with my little ones, who are usually with me. Sanibel Bead is a great store - the owner showed me how to drill a hole in a shell and I bought some beads for an art project I am working on at home.

About 1 pm, realized I had not eaten yet, biked to Lazy Flamingo for lunch - a couple of cocktails, chicken and mahi mahi sandwich later - biked back to the condo. My friend and I went to the beach, still a little chilly out - but beautiful sunny day. We read books on the beach a for a couple of hours and then headed back to the condo. Still full from lunch, we just ate snacks for dinner, as well as a few more drinks and solved the worlds problems until midnight.

Jan 23- Friday - Biked to West Gulf access points. I haven’t been in this area before, it is just beautiful. We walked for about 1 1/2 hours, i’ll post a couple pics, chose the house i’ll buy when I retire ; ). Found two sand dollars lying on the beach, but otherwise, the shelling in front of Waterside was better.

Warmer today - low 70’s - biked up to Sanibel Deli and Coffee Factory for lunch. I had the Cuban panini - delicious. The coffee was good, but not anything special to me - I am really picky about my coffee, so try it yourself. Biked back to Breakers, spent the afternoon sunning on the beach. Dinner at Matzaluna for pizza and salad.

Jan 24 - Saturday - back to normal temps, gorgeous sunny day. Negative low tides again. Of course, I spend the morning putting back all the dying shells into the gulf - but was rewarded with a gorgeous bright orange horse conch - about 4 inches long. Whoohoo! Biked around the entire island, stopped at The Bean for a late breakfast. Beach by 11 am - until 4 pm. Lots of repeat visitors to Waterside on the beach - mostly snowbirds, didn’t see any kids. Cleaned up, Doc Ford’s for dinner. Tropical salad and ribeye sandwich for dinner - both of us. Delicious. Brownie sundae for dessert. I brought the brownie home and ate if for breakfast on Sunday.....

Jan 25 - Sunday - last day. Hung at the condo, packed up, loaded up the car and stopped at the Bean for a last coffee. Drove to Lighthouse beach for about an hour before we had to leave for the airport - lots of sea stars in the water. Drove the sad lane back to RSW - this time well rested and knowing i’ll be back in 7 weeks with the kids for a long visit.

I will admit to checking flights for a last minute trip during Feb break.... stay tuned....

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

Sounds wonderful! I'm Jealous! I have had so many conversations with my best friend dreaming about a trip like this. Good for you Sunny!

Thanks for the trip report. It made me forget about the snow and cold air outside my window.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

Where have I been?? I didn't know you were even going to Sanibel!!! Oh yeah, I have been moving and my computer doesn't like our new house, so it crashes on me. I'm so jealous!!! I want a trip soon....... My kids would find a new mother if I went to Sanibel without them. For that matter my husband would get a new wife.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

Sounds like a great little getaway! I too would get in big trouble if I went to Sanibel without my husband and kids!!!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

My kids were not happy with me - they constantly called me to ask me where I was and what have I found. They also wanted to know all details of what I ate ....

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

We are so glad you had a great time even though it was cold (ish) back to warm again this week. .... Susan and I missed you - Hope to see you next trip!!!

Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

GREAT post!! Gave me some ideas for next month...thanks! Glad you had a good vistit! But, what else could it have been?? :)

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

That's a looooooooooooooooooooooooong weekend! What's in the crunchberry salad at the Sanibel Grill?

And how can you tell if an Alphabet Cone is occupied? The opening is so narrow. I am so happy that you had a great trip!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

Rain - i'm sorry I missed you two - i'll def see you in March.

Bean - here is the menu for the salad. Really good with the grilled chicken.

prawnbroker.com/floridawest/…menu.php

Also - the alphabet cones opening is very narrow, but I could see the little legs or antenna or something coming out. It looked like a spider squished in there.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

Thanks sunny for the link. Yum. I can't wait to see pictures!

Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls weekend trip report....

I love that salad at Sanibel Grill!

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island