We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

We watched the travel channels 10 best beaches in Florida last night and found out about Sanibel Island. This seems to be more of a beach for us. We had thought about Daytona, but we don't like crowds or big cities.

So, we have decided to come to Sanibel Island! We will only be here one day/night as we have many activities on our list. We will be coming from Clearwater and want to spend the day and then the night here.

Where would be the best for us to stay? It will be my husband and I and our 3 kids; 7, 4 and 2. We will be arriving Saturday morning from Clearwater and staying Saturday night and will leave for Disney Sunday morning.

Can we find lodging for 1 night? We prefer hotels over condo's. If we have a kitchen in our room, I will want to cook to save money, but DO NOT want to do that on vacation.

Any suggestions on where to stay? We would prefer an ocean front room if possible. We will be here in September.

Thanks in advance!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

You have two choices - September is off season, so you could just show up on the Island, stop at the Chamber of Commerce and have them find you a last minute accomdation - which is fairly cost effective, off season.

Or find a place from this list - most places rent sat - sat, here are the places that rent otherwise. Also check out Sanibel Moorings.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34616-i231-k20685…

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

I would check out Sanibel Inn if staying one night. It has a pool bar for snacks and light lunch which is convenient especially with the kids. Otherwise you chew up the day going to restaurants...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

Ok, thanks. From what I've read from other posts there isn't one part of the island thats better than the other right?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

Everyone has their favorite part of the island, it is just personal taste. I like the West Gulf area as it's less busy - but in Sept. neither side will be busy.

Motel style on the East End - Sanibel Inn, Seaside Inn and Holiday Inn. West side - West Wind Inn and Sunset Beach Resort.

A nice thing about the East end is there is Lighthouse Cafe for breakfast/lunch and Pinnochios for icecream and coffee drinks nearby.

Commerce Township...
Level Contributor
83 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

I agree with sunny. We had a last minute one night list year and the Chamber of commerce did a great job. They have a daily list of which properties have availabilities for 1 to 7 nights. The Chamber rep will call them for you and everything. Most of the openings are "special" pricing as well.

Now that I have done this---that is the only way I will do this type of visit again.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
77 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

For week-long visits, we have rented a condo. But for brief stays we have enjoyed the Holiday Inn, right on the beach. You may find, however, that rates are less expensive in Fort Myers, and you can simply drive across the bridge to Sanibel for a day.

7. Re: 1st time visit, PLEASE HELP!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 07:22
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island