We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February bug situation on Cayo Costa

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
200 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
February bug situation on Cayo Costa

My sister and I are camping a few days on Cayo Costa, mid-Feb. So.... I remember the viscious mosquitoes on Captiva from the vacations of our youth-but that was always in July.. Generally speaking... what is the bug quotient on CC this time of year?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February bug situation on Cayo Costa

Well, better than July. They like still, humid air. I was bit in January in the evening while waiting for a table, it was cool outside, so who knows?

Bring good bug spray - but noseeums in the search box to find what other posters recommend. I use deep woods off with carry prescription strength cortizone with me.

That said - as long as there is a breeze you should be ok - they can't fly then.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: February bug situation on Cayo Costa

It really depends on the rain fall. It changes day to day also with the breeze and clouds.

The No-see-ums can be HORRID on Cayo Costa since they do not spray the island (Last I heard they do not)...... February should be okay but stay away from vegetion when making your tent and bring LOTS of bug spray!!! One person said they went through a can a day in May.

I have had them chase me in the water in May over there and swarm my head until I went under.....

Not trying to be gloom and doom.....you just need to be prepared! Cayo is a nice secluded island, and the beach area is great.

Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: February bug situation on Cayo Costa

And the shelling is great!!!No-see-ums or whatever,you'll still love it!

4. Re: February bug situation on Cayo Costa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island