We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Island for young families?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel Island for young families?

Is Sanibel Island a good spot for young kids (ages 4&2) or is it more adult-oriented? We want a laid-back vacation but with some activities for kids. And a nearby grocery store.

Is the beach good for kids?

Thanks for any input!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

Sanibel is very laid back,that's one of the best things we love about it also the beaches are great for kids!!!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

We've been coming to Sanibel since before kids and now with our 6 and almost 4 yo. So yes! Sanibel is very family oriented and laid back.

There are two grocery stores on island - Bailey's and Jerry's - you can arrange before hand for them to 'stock' your condo with your favorite items. $25 plus cost of groceries - well worth the money when traveling with little ones.

The beach is awesome for kids - they just need to wear crocs or flip flops in some areas, where it is really shelly. Lots of cool wildlife and shells for them to collect.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

The beach on Sanibel is great for kids that age. Surf is not rough and sandbars go way out so very shallow at low tide times for them to play safe.

Sanibel is a family orientated island....however some teens can think it is BORING!

As far as activities.... our daughter was too tired for activities at that age after swimming in the pool or surf and playing in the sand. We had beach balls to kick around and shelling pails.

Have a larger umbrella for them to be able to get out of the sun and take a nap. Many people get a place close to the pool area and use the baby monitors to keep a close eye on the kids while napping.

There are 2 nice grocery stores on the island. As sunny said you can pay 25.00 and they will deliver and have everything you will need.

Family friendly places to eat that kids love.

Most condos have DVD players, and a movie rental store on the island with large selection.

There are places to rent cribs, etc if you need them for small children as well.

Some places have kiddie pools so you may be interested in that as an option if you choose Sanibel.

Good Luck :)

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

One other thing is that Sanibel is safe. The toll tends to keep the daytrippers and teenagers away so what's left are adults and families.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

That toll doesn't keep my 2 teenagers and an almost teenager away! ;-) We've been coming since the kids were little. Sanibel is very welcoming to families.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

I think MSC meant the Ft Myers teens since there is a toll.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

I realized that, my bad idea of a joke!!

Sanibel Island
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

Sanibel Island offers a very relaxed atmosphere for kids and families. Miles of beach and bike paths with the conveniences nearby. The beach is great for kids, have them wear their beach shoes, although the sand is fairly fine theres also plenty of little shells everywhere. The water is very shallow so you can bring your guard down a touch (as a fellow parent I know the antennas are always up) when they are wading in the water.

Mount Laurel, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

My wife and i took our 3 and 1 year old boys to sanibel last year. We're returning this year and our kids will be the same age as yours. When I got back, I posted a pretty detailed outline of our trip, with a lot of information that I think will be helpful to you. Search the forum for a post called "Just returned from Sanibel with my wife and 2 young boys..." from May 22, 2008.

let me know if you have any questions at all....

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanibel Island for young families?

Families come to Sanibel - once bitten - they return every year. It happened to us and to so many people that I see everyday. Everyone wants to tell you how many years they have been coming to Sanibel - bringing their children and now their children bring theirs...on and on. There is no other place like Sanibel and it is perfect for families (all ages) start them young and they will always love it.