We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

So it looks like it is going to be even cooler now here than we thought when we left (and packed)yesterday. High of 61 tomorrow and 63 on Tuesday with lows in the 40s, and rain most of the day today.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=sanibel%2C+fl&searchType=WEATHER

We did not bring enough warm clothes for the kids (two kids under 3), any thoughts on where we could find stuff on-island? Any place with toddler size sweatshirts?

And thoughts on what to do with two kids who hoped to be in the pool/beach this whole week? I'm praying we can get in the water by Wednesday or Thursday before we have to leave.

I know there is a playground on Periwinkle which I'm sure we will be spending a lot of time at. Any other ideas?

If this trip were just me and my husband we could find milllion things to do in 60-degree weather, but we're not so lucky. Thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

Go to Winds, on Periwinkle. They have lots of clothes, and they do have sweatshirts. I bought one there myself on a November chilly day.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

There are several stores in Perwinkle Place that will likely have something for cooler weather. You could also try Sanibel Surf Shop in Jerry's plaza (the exotic birds in this plaza will occupy the little ones for a while). There is also a free standing store across the street from Jerry's - the name escapes me right now. There is the Tanger Outlet mall on Summerlin Road that's a potential option. When we have been faced with cooler whether in the past, our kids were happy to bundle up and hit the playgounds at Perwinkle and Bowman's, or to just troll the beach looking for shells. Try looking into C.R.O.W. for a rainy day activity. The Visitor Center is always a great resource for the weeks on island activities, etc.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

You could also try the gift store near Jerry's, they sell tees and sweatshirts. Sorry don't know the name, but it's the frst store up the stairs on your left. Stop and let the kids see the birds too.

When that happened to us one year, I picked up a sweatshirt in one of the tee-shirt shops at Periwinkle Place, I'm sure they'd have toddler sizes also.

How about taking the kids to the touch tank at Tarpon Bay Explorers--end of Tarpon Bay Rd?

Or go see the birds at the RV park-Periwinkle Park?

I believe Libby, the woman who cares for the birds, does her talk every day but Sunday, around 9:30-10:00am. She brings them out of their cages and lets the kids touch them. The kids seem to get a kick out of it, and it's still very intersting to adults. She does a great job.

If it's not raining or really windy, I'd bundle them up and still let them play at the beach.

Good luck, I hope it warms up for you!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

That's it NorthBound...Sanibel Surf Shop!

The one across the street is Mango Bay.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

nike store in Tanger - should be able to buy sweatshirts at a good price.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

Having lived throught similar experiences on vacation buy a couple sweatshirts and go to the different beaches...as long as everyone is warm and have a warm place to return to they will have fun. Each beach has its own charm and own fun things to discover.

I have not been there but there is also a Imaginarium Hands-On Museum in Ft. Myers with good reviews. Hours 10-5 M-S and Sunday 12-5; and under 3 free! It sounds like it might be a great activity if you want something inside (I normally would not suggest leaving the island but in your circumstances this might help.)

www.cityftmyers.com/imaginarium/index.html

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

There are also two resale stores - Goodwill on Palm Ridge Rd and the one at the Episcopal church. Both have used clothes and toys.

Naples has a nice zoo - about 45 minutes away. Also check out the Sanibel Library, they have things for kids to do.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

The Visitor Center (free) at Ding Darling has lots of stuffed animals/birds/reptiles in natural-looking settings and a small hands-on childrens section (nature rubbings, puzzles, things to touch, etc.).

Driving Wildlife Drive through Ding in the rain is a favorite of mine. When you are at the visitor center, ask for a tide chart and be sure to drive through during low tide so there will be lots of wading birds to look at (closed on Fridays).

SCCF (Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation) has a visitor center with a nice but small children's room. I believe they ask for a small donation, but you could call and ask. If it's not raining and hasn't been too wet there are some nice paths behind which take you to a 3-story look-out tower.

Plan on Cheeburger Cheeburger - the kid's burgers come in a cool pink '50s Cadillac box which all kids seem to just love! They also serve zillions of crazy milkshake flavors, so it can just be a fun meal outing.

Visit the birds at Jerry's shopping center. Most of the birds can be watched/talked to from a covered walkway.

Dress warmly and collect shells anyway! The place across from Jerry's Shopping Center is Mango Bay. Both it and Winds (big beach stores on Periwinkle) will have a variety of sweatshirts.

I just watched the weather from WINK-TV, and it appears most of the rain will be today (Sunday) and although it will be cool on Monday, they are forecasting sun, but windy. Likely it will be scattered showers and you will be able to be out and about.

There is also a video rental place in the Bailey Center.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

Looks like you'll have good weather the rest of the week, hang on.

There might be some great shelling right now - bundle up and walk the shore.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anywhere on-island to shop for warm clothes?

Stop by some of your favorite restaurants and ask about their tshirts and sweatshirts. Most restaurants sells shirts with their logo on them.