We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Well I'm sorry that it took me so long to get around to doing a trip report, since we have been back for about three weeks, but with dealing with returning back to work and dealing with some persisting health problems not to mention just getting caught up with everything, I just haven't spent much leisure time on the computer. We ended up staying at the Parrot's Nest, which was very nice and comfortable. I also like the rustic type setting that gave it a remote feeling setting, although it was right off of Periwinkle. Also very convenient to the Lighthouse Cafe for breakfast (very good) or for an excellent deli lunch from Easy End Deli. The Parrot's Nest served our need pretty well, since we weren't there but four days and wanted to see some of the other areas outside of Sanibel, since we had never been in that part of Florida and it wasn;t too far from the causeway. We rode bicycles around the island a couple of days, one day riding down to the lighthouse and another riding out the gulf roads and down to the beach for some shelling. Our dining choices turned out to be Timbers, Jacaranda, Traders and the Thistle Lodge, and not a bad meal among them. The macadamia nut crusted grouper and the crunchy grouper at Timbers were both excellent and the service was extremely friendly. At Jacaranda's the next night, I treated myself to some stone crab claws (which was a first for me) and had the stuffed grouper. The service there was very good and very professional, and the grouper was excellent although I wasn't really crazy about the stuffing. I think that overall I liked Trader's the best of the lot. Food (sea bass), service and the setting were all excellent. The Thistle Lodge was definitely the most upscale place that we dined and the food did not disappoint. The service though, was very adequate at best. Considering that we went on Valentine's Day when they had a special menu that was quite expensive, it really felt rather dissapointing with that level of service. If we would have had the same type of service that we had at Jacaranda, we would have considered it a perfect meal. As far as entertainment, besides bicycling and shelling, we also took the time to visit Ding Darling and drive up to Captiva for lunch, which made a real nice day even though it was a bit overcast. We also did one of the sunset cruises on Adventures in Paradise. We were going to do the Captiva Cruise instead, but they were already booked up. We really enjoyed the cruise, though it got pretty chilly after the sun went down. I want to thank all of you here that helped me plan my trip. Sanibel is a really lovely place and I hope to get back when we have a chance for a more relaxing pace, like the one all you regulars here enjoy so much. Thanks again!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

So glad after all that planning that your trip went well!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

HI don. So glad you had a good time, Thank you for the trip report!!

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

thanks for the report...hope everyone is feeling better!

USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for sharing your trip report. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable time. I was glad to here the service had improved at Jacaranda's. We have always had great service at Thistle Lodge. I believe it goes to show it depends on the night and the mood of your server.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Hi Don, I'm glad you had a nice trip and Thank you for taking the time to write a nice trip report with details and constructive criticism on your dining experience. I hope the health problems get better soon!!

6. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 15:16