We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

Long Island, NY
10 posts
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

I found a package with hotel and airfare and a rental car for the same price on Hotwire for each of these resorts; around $500 a person - which hotel should I select? Pros, cons, etc.

Thanks!

Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

We stayed at Cocnut Point 2 years ago,as my husband had a meeting there.It's very upscale.No beach,as Bonita Springs is an estuary,but they have a ferry to take you out to their own private island,which is beautiful.I have never seen so many sand dollars before.They have a ranger there to protect the sand dollars,and to keep people from tossing them,taking live ones,etc.It is not at all like Sanibel,which is more laid back.

We've never stayed at the Holiday Inn on Sanibel(Steinbecke-help me out here).I guess it all depends on what typre of vacation you're looking for.

Long Island, NY
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

The few appeals I've noticed so far to the Holiday Inn is that they give you free towels, beach chairs, etc. - there is free parking and that their restaurant is fabulous and very reasonable. I'm still trying to find out more about Coconut Pt.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

If you are going primarily for the hotel/resort experience than I would imagine the Hyatt has the advantage.

If you are prioritizing the beach and island experience then Holiday Inn is on the better piece of real estate.. The Holiday Inn itself is more like a large motel complex with a nice (but smallish) pool area and courtyard near the beach. Not as upscale as the Hyatt.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

I really don't understand the reason for choice here. It should be hands down - Sanibel over coconut point for the same $$. Sanibel clearly has more to offer. The Holiday Inn on Sanibel is charming - beachfront, restaurant, tiki bar poolside - great location not to mention all Sanibel has to offer - biking, canoeing, kayaking, shelling and fishing. check www.sunnydayguide.com for activities, shopping and restaurants.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

It seems like comparing apples to oranges. They aren't really the same kind of vacation.

Never been to that particular Hyatt, but if you want a luxury, spa getaway, then it looks lovely.

But I agree with the others, Sanibel has so much more to offer than just a hotel/spa experience.

You have to look at the whole package(no pun intended) and decide what you you're looking for.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Feb.-- only for one night, but we were pleasantly suprised. It can't compete with Hyatt in terms of upscale luxury, but it is charming, well-kept, nice grounds, and a friendly staff. And of course there is...the beach. That alone gives it an advantage in my eyes.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

My personal pick would be Holiday Inn of course. Sanibel Island itself is the attraction!

But some folks are looking mostly for a full-service upscale resort to plunk themselves down in and don't really go out and explore. If that is the case and you don't mind being ferried to the beach then Hyatt would be less likely to dissappoint.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
77 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

We have thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
467 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

Gosh, what wasn't renovated after Hurricane Charlie :)

You can go to an upscale hotel in any city. I would chose Holiday Inn on Sanibel for the beach experience.

9. Re: Holiday Inn Sanibel vs. Hyatt Coconut Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 05:15