We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

minnesota
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

Just wanted to post our trip report from this yr.

This is our 2nd yr on Sanibel. We stayed at a couple places... We really enjoyed Shell Island Beach club condo. It had great views.. was very bright and airy. We shelled most days and just spent time relaxing. We ate at ( I may spell these wrong) Matzaluna ( it was good) Cheeburger Cheeburger... it was ok.. not what I expected but loved the onion rings. We had good luck at the Island cow plus we like the laid back atmosphere. We liked the Mucky Duck except my daughters milk was sour and out of date.. not good.. ick.. but the rest was great. The kids loved the waves on Captiva and the water was more clear. We also had burgers at the Sanibel Grill and they were good.

We had Pinochio's Ice cream.. it was good but expensive when you have 5 people eating a big dish...:O I would say go to the grocery store and stock up and eat at the condo and then go walk to beach in the evening..( just my opinion)

We took a Captiva Cruise to shell. I enjoyed that. I love to shell. We could have stayed all day but did the 2 hr. It was just something different to do. I didnt take a very good shell bag and broke a huge sanddollar I found. It was fun and we found bigger shells. I would do it again.

We ended up carrying a backpack of shells home again. I am going to try to come up with some way of displaying them.

Anyway just wanted to let you know we enjoyed our stay. I like the Island life.. barefoot and relaxing. I am so glad I got out of bed at sunrise and took pictures as it was coming up (it comes up REALLY fast) and got some great pics of low tide and birds. Take alot of pics you dont appreciate them until you are home. I am not sure if we will go back each yr or try something different but I do really enjoy Sanibel for a family trip.

Becky

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

Hi Becky,

Thanks for writing a trip report for all of us, I enjoyed it and appreciated your dining reviews.

I was sad the sand dollar broke :(

I'm glad you enjoyed Shell Island Beach club. I've not stayed but some condo pictures look like it is bright inside esp...the corner units.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

That sand dollar breaking..... that hurts. Sorry that happened.

Thanks for the trip report. Glad you have a wonderful time...

If you have time, please write a review of Shell Island beach Club - we get questions, but few reviews. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful visit. Sanibel is this place to make special family memories.

minnesota
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

Actually I found the sand dollar and my husband broke it. He felt bad enough without me saying much :) one of those things. Just knowing I found it was cool. I kept looking for the Junonia and some Wentletraps ( may have spelled wrong). Found a few Wentletraps but they are hard to find.. at least for me anyway. I know I could have gone and bought some but I wanted to find them.

Shell Island Beach Club was great. What I liked was that there were windows in our unit that were in every room. So much natural light came in. I am not sure about all the units but we had a Gulf front and we loved it. We liked that the pool stayed open til 11 for the kids so in the evening after the sun went down we could go down the the pool or jacuzzi. It was just a nice clean complex. My husband commented he liked how easy it was to turn out onto Periwinkle from there. Most of the time you cant take a L very easy. I dont know if I liked the east end beach as well.. pros and cons.. pros were my daughter could walk right in there was no steep drop and huge waves. I didnt find the shells to be as good there or should I say as big when we were there. I didnt like there were more birds and wildlife. In the am the birds were so fun to watch when the tide was low. I guess I would stay there again espec with kids.

If I knew how to post pics I would :)

minnesota
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

I need to correct the last one.. I said I didnt like the birds and I did like them :) We enjoy the wildlife. Except my daughter had a cheese stick taken out of her hand by a seagull.. .she was not happy!! ;)

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

Buying a shell is not the same I agree... So I'm waiting for that Junonia....and waiting...and waiting! haha

Shelling has been slim this year. Uncle just returned from two weeks and said not much on the East end where they stay.

minnesota
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

Yes we noticed on the East end it was smaller shells but we didnt find anything real interesting. We did find some fun shells on the cruise and we went to Bowmans Beach one day and there were quite a few shells. The fun part is now knowing what you might find.. the Junonia :)

8. Re: Our trip 3/2 to 3/11

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island