We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Left Over Food-Donate

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Left Over Food-Donate

I found this info on another site...I hope it is ok

to post it here, but this is such a great idea I had to share....

How many times have you stayed at a rental and had food leftover at the end of your vacation? Don't throw it out...donate it and make a difference!

Rental Agencies that make up the Sanibel Captiva Vacation Rental Managers Association (SCVRMA) have made arrangements with the Harry Chapin Food Bank to get that food to those in need, including children, seniors living on fixed incomes, the working poor and hurricane victims.

When you rent through any of the members of SCVRMA, at check-in you will be given a shopping bag for any unused, unopened items. When you check-out, simply return the bag of food along with your keys. Those bags are then donated to the Food Bank by the rental agency.

To date, 700 pounds of canned goods and other grocery items have already been collected and donated from visitors.

SCVRMA consists of (in alphabetical order):

Cottages To Castles

Grande Island Vacations

Island Realty Group

Island Vacations

Remax Of The Islands

Royal Shell Vacations

Sanibel Accommodations

Sanibel Holiday

Sanibel One Vacations

Select Vacation Properties

VIP Vacation Rentals

BestofSanibelCaptiva.com

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes....

you can go to the best of sanibel site and see the responses about donating items such as fruit or vegetables to CROW....AND OTHER GREAT IDEAS...didn't want to post too much from there...

WOW....WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

Leaving in two days! Just can't wait...I have been reading all the posts and enjoyed all the info you all share!!! thanks

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Left Over Food-Donate

This is a wonderful idea!!! I always feel horrible about throwing out the left over unopened food.

I would love to see some of the condo complexes jump on the wagon with this.

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Left Over Food-Donate

What a cool idea! I wonder if other cities are doing this?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Left Over Food-Donate

Thanks Floridajoy for posting this. Many of the agencies have been participating for a few years now and they are very grateful when you walk in the door with the donation. (I still leave the unopened beer with a note to enjoy for the Maid service in the fridge though!)

In addition to Harry Chapin Food Bank

http://www.harrychapinfoodbank.org/

donations go to F.I.S.H., Friends in Service Here.

a non profit agency that helps friends in need right on Sanibel and Captiva Islands.

http://www.fishofsanibel.com/

You may also donate to the above by picking up a donation coupon when you shop at Bailey's. Just give it to the cashier and a $10.00 donation will be added to your total food bill. The donation at Bailey's will be used to purchase food items.

You can also make Monetary contributions at any of the SCVRMA member offices listed above.

What a wonderful way to give back to the Islands that bring all of us so much happiness. And for those of you following the Waboba ball thread, maybe we have found the answer to where our donations should go??!!!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
847 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Left Over Food-Donate

Is there anything wrong with someone who is not renting through one of those agencies, to drop off bags of food at one of those agencies when leaving Wouldn't be in the "official" bag, but what the heck? Thanks.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Left Over Food-Donate

To date the SCVRMA has collected a total of 8,491 lbs of food. Any agency would be happy to accept a donation.

6. Re: Left Over Food-Donate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2009, 05:59
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island