We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

Staten Island, NY
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

Hi All! My boyfriend and I (Both 35) will be staying at the Sanibel Harbour & Resort (I know it's actually Ft Myers at the bridge) June 14th to the 18th. Could you recommend some nice places to eat that are local. From what I'm reading the restaurants in the hotel are pricey....we want to go for maybe one really nice dinner and then the rest just DELICIOUS FOOD...doesn't matter what type of place. All recommendations would be great! Also, what's in the area of the hotel? Tips? Suggestions on anything for the vacation would be great. Our goal for the vacation...much needed R&R, alone adult time together and fun, sun, drinks and good eats....

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Blue Coyote Supper Club
££££, American, Seafood, Soups
Mad Hatter Restaurant
££££, Steakhouse, American, Seafood
Joey's Custard
£, Fast food, American, Contemporary
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

Doc Fords has a location on Sanibel and a new one in Ft Myers beach. The owner Randy Wayne White is a local author. His restaurants get great reviews and it is my favorite on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

This place is near to you:

lighthousewaterfrontrestaurant.com/index.php

Gets good reviews.

If you are on the island - check out Lazy Flamingo, Matzaluna, Sanibel Grill, Sanibel Bean for breakfast/coffee drinks, Doc Fords or Island Cow.

Mentioned in this post
Lazy Flamingo
Lazy Flamingo
1,668 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Matzaluna
Matzaluna
1,510 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Grill
Sanibel Grill
588 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
The Island Cow
The Island Cow
5,994 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

I would also ask on the Ft Myers forum for suggestion of places to eat on that side of the causeway.

One more suggestion - next to the Publix, across from the Tanger Outlet mall is a really good Thai place - we've only done takeout, no idea if you can sit down to eat there.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

We've eaten in at the Thai place and it's excellent. There's also a German place, primarily schnitzel down San Carlos just a block. Other than that, I'd come on island: Sanibel Cafe for breakfast, Matzaluna, Trader's, Lazy Flamingo, Gramma Dot's, Sanibel Grill. My husband says the Doc Fords before Ft. Myers Beach is better than ours on Sanibel -- lovely view and great food (basically same menu). I haven't been yet, as I haven't been back since it opened.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Cafe
Sanibel Cafe
778 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Matzaluna
Matzaluna
1,510 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Lazy Flamingo
Lazy Flamingo
1,668 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Grill
Sanibel Grill
588 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

Twilight Cafe on Sanibel. Romantic and very good food. Worth the drive across the bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

There is an interesting thread on Chowhound - which is where I go to find the 'inside scoop' on places to eat.

Coming up with positive reports are a couple of places I know nothing about, but seem to be consistently praised:

Blue Point at the Bell Tower shopping mall on Rt 41. For ultra fresh seafood. Tell them Chowhound sent you. They recommend both the raw bar and the Parmesan Crusted Lemon Sole.

Also mentioned highly - Bacchus - is also in the Bell Tower Shops.

The Blue Coyote Club at the Calsoosa Yacht Club off College Blvd just before the bridge to Cape Coral. On the river.

A new place over on the water on Ft Myers Beach called Bay Front Bistro that said to be good.

On Sanibel I recommend Mad Hatter and on Captiva Ole Captiva House for special meals. Both have sunset views. (reservations) And for bistro style food, Sunset Gill. Dining on island has become rather expensive. Doc Ford's offers good value and their Buffalo Shrimp are a huge favorite of mine. A sports bar with decent to excellent food. Stay away from the fried stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Bell Tower Shops
Bell Tower Shops
57 Reviews
Fort Myers, FL
Cape Coral
Cape Coral
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Mad Hatter Restaurant
Mad Hatter Restaurant
1,398 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

Traders is my fav on Sanibel...The Macadamia encrusted grouper and hte crab and spnach stuffed shrimp are worth the $6 toll! I also recommend Old Captiva House - Very old Florida and romantic. Great food too.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Old Captiva House
Old Captiva House
853 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
8. Re: Restaurant Recs - staying at Sanibel Harbour & Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island