We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
236 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

We have just decided to take a 5 night trip to FL. July 5-10th Thinking of Sanibel. Need help in choosing hotel. Want on the beach & would like to be within walking distance to some shopping & restraunts. We got a great price on Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort..any comments on this place? Would like to be able to pack a cooler to take to beach rather than have expensive beach service.

Thanks!

Cathy

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

I can't comment on the Hilton on Marco, haven't been there. Have you asked on that forum?

Sanibel doesn't have the high rises and resorts like Marco does. Nothing is taller than a palm tree, it is pretty laid back, more momsy and popsy like.

If you want more upscale, I would look at Casa Ybel, Tween Waters, Sanibel Inn, Seaside Inn or Song of the Sea. I dont know if anywhere that offers beach service on the island, but a few places have pool side bars/cafes. Most of us just pack a few beach bags, bring snacks and a cooler and enjoy the beach/shelling. Very simple.

Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
236 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

Thanks Sunnyvaca!

I don't want upscale. I want to pack a cooler & hit the beach. Can you walk the beach & visit other resorts with beach bars? I just had a friend suggest the Holiday Inn Sanibel, know anything about that location?

Thanks,

Cathy

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

I stayed near the holiday inn last november. Nice area, Holiday Inn gets good reviews, lots of repeat customers. Good restaurant and pool bar there also. The rooms are more set back tho - not exactly beach front.

If you want beach front - look at Sanibel Inn, Seaside Inn, Sunset Beach Resort and West Wind Inn. I am assuming you want a motel style room, not a condo. Is that right?

There are only a few places with pool bars, so the walking on the beach from bar to bar isn't the best here - it isn't like Miami or Ft Lauderdale. The places with pool bars are

Sanibel Inn, Holiday Inn, Casa Ybel, West Wind Inn. All are open to the public, you don't have to be a guest to eat/drink at any of them.

Another place to stay would be Ocean's Reach - they are offering really good deals right now. Sanibel Arms West, Sanibel Mooring are also - these two are walking distance to Sanibel Inn's pool bar/cafe and Holiday Inn - tho this is a longer walk.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

Jeez louise. I need an edit button.

West Wind Inn, sunset Beach are not beach front, but beachview - you might be able to get a room very close to the beach with nice views of the gulf.

Ocean's reach is almost on the beach, all condos are beach front.

Sorry - I typed to fast and didn't go back to reread.

Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
236 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

WOW! You are very helpful! Thanks so much sunnyvaca. Now I have something to go on. I'll most likely be back with more ?? tomorrow.

Much Appreciated!

Have a Good Night...

Cathy

cinamingrl@peoplepc...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

Cathy

we were just at Holiday Inn on Sanibel a few weeks ago. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. As sunny said the rooms run long ways and the views are the parking lot unless you get a room that faces the pool and from the pool you can see a small part of the beach. they have a nice pool not real big but nice and of course the pool bar which is very nice and the food is really good. You can walk to the beach from what ever room you have . We had the room way up front it was a suite no view but it was big and roomy. The walk to the beach was minimal just a few 100 feet.All paved in beautiful brick and landscaped with waterfalls, palm trees, flowering bushes, just beautiful so the walk to the beach is 5 minutes total from wherever you are on the property. They also supply beach chairs and even some Cabannas. that they put out each morning. We walked west and east on the beach and to me the Holiday Inn property was the most beautiful on the beach. You can walk for miles in either direction and it is all white sand and sea shells everywhere, ah so beautiful You can carry your cooler to the beach and hang out all day. or just walk about 100 ft and get a drink at the bar and jump in the pool if you dont like to swim in the salt water. The rooms are not real big there a king or two queen beds and a bathroom, nothing luxurious, but how much time do you spend in your room if you are there to spend time on the beach. We loved it . Rooms run about 180 - 200 per night but like Sunny said call them straight up and see if they will give you a deal ...especially this time of year. they have a great restaurant attached to the motel and the food is great , the bread and the oil that you dip it in is awesome. They also have bikes right on site you can rent by the hour or day . It will be hot when you are there but you can ride in am or pm. if you want to be on the beach Holiday Inn is nice... and on the beach just no beach view from your room.

Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
236 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

Hey Cinamingrl that was alot of information! Thanks so much. Sounds like the Holiday Inn may be our place. Are there any restraunts or shopping within walking distance? Was the beach nice in that area? Clear water?

Thanks again!

Cathy

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

Most of the restaurants on the island are on Periwinkle, which runs sort of thru the middle of the island. Most of the lodging is on the gulf, so shopping and restaurants are a long walk or a pleasant bike ride away.

Since you are going in the summer, it will be HOT! I would plan on biking in the morning or evening, and using your car to get to restaurants/shopping. BTW - there aren't street lights on Sanibel, out of respect to the night life, so it gets very dark after the sun goes down...

The holiday inn does have a restaurant, Courtneys. Ellingtons is also a short bike ride away - jazz bar. LIghthouse Cafe, East End Deli, and Pinnochios is also nearby - meaning bike ride.

Closest restaurants for lunch or dinner, Lazy Flamingo, Matzaluna, Jacaranda, Mc T's.

Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
236 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

My goodness my head is spinning! All this info is great. Still researching it all. Thanks so much. I'll let ya know when I have something booked.

Thanks,

Cathy

Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
236 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Sanibel Reasonable Beachfront Hotel Suggestion

Thank you marslady/neighbor!

I am gettting only positive vibes about Sanibel. Getting together this holiday weekend with my sister, her son & his girlfriend. They are my travel companions for this trip. I have alot of info to share with them. We plan on booking something on Monday or Tues. Can't wait! I'll keep everyone posted. Sounds like we better rent a car!

I am going to be in St Pete the first week of June,.. family graduation. How far is that from Sanibel? Thought I might take a day trip to check it out.

Thanks again everyone!

Cathy