We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Topic
mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

Hi all, We are coming to Sanibel for the first time in years. Last time I was there, it was as a newlywed. Now I have three teens. We would like to rent a condo/cottage in July for 1 week for $1000-1500. We want beachfront.

I have looked at Sayana, Sundial, Seaside, Ocean's Reach and Song of the Sea websites. I like the free bikes and breakfast at Song of the Sea, but here is what I would really like:

-beachfront (with own door outside would be really great)

-a location within walking(or perhaps biking, if bikes are available) distance of a destination (a small grocery/ice cream shop/ someplace for the kids to head out to for a little afternoon snack or diversion).

-sunset views

What are your recommendations?

Also- I have a kid who loves to fish (off a pier would be great). So if you know of a place within walking distance of a fishing pier, feel free to mention that, too-although I would prefer a great place and driving to fishing if need be.

Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sundial Beach Resort & Spa
Sundial Beach Resort...
2,635 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Song of the Sea
Song of the Sea
738 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

Here's what I think - you should look at the East gulf area on Sanibel or look into renting a house on Captiva for the week. House rentals on Sanibel are monthly, btw.

3 bedroom options - Sanibel Moorings, Sanibel Arms West, Coquina ( some have lofts with extra beds) or Cyprina Beach.

2 bedrooms - Bandy Beach, Sanibel Arms west, Sanibel Moorings, and Coquina.

I am saying East End Sanibel as there is a fishing pier and Old Town Sanibel a short bike ride or walk from most of the above. Old town has a ice cream place, deli, and restaurant for B L D.

Captiva - you could rent a house, not beachfront, walking distance to 2 marinas and the town area.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Moorings Resort
Sanibel Moorings Resort
821 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

I will be there June 17-June 24th with 3 teens, 15, 17, & 17; we are staying at Sundial. I don't know when you are intending to book, but if you want info from me, PM me and I'll let you know how it works out.

Mentioned in this post
Sundial Beach Resort...
2,635 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

Thanks for the responses. So far, I haven't looked at Captiva, but based on your comments, I will.

Thanks, too, for the offer of the reveiw of Sundial. I would love to hear how you like it.

By the way, regarding fishing: do we need fishing licenses? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sundial Beach Resort...
2,635 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

You do need a fishing license - check with the bait box for information.

http://www.thebaitbox.com/

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

Captiva does not have bike paths so that might be a consideration.

I agree that East End is probably a good option. In addition to the above you can check out the 2-bedrooms at Sanibel Inn; there's an on-site snack bar.

Another option are the condos on West Gulf Drive near Tarpon Bay Road; all are about a five minute bike ride on the bike path to the Bailey Shopping Center (local market)and a few minutes more to the Sanibel Bean (ice cream).

The condos there are Pointe Santo (our home), Tarpon Beach, Sand Pointe and Sanibel Cottages.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Tarpon Bay
Tarpon Bay
415 Reviews
Bonita Springs, FL
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

I agree that the East End of Sanibel Island fulfills most of your requirements. You will NOT see sunsets over the water there though. The best sunsets are on the West end or on Captiva.

The other thing is that it's not SUPER easy to get to places other than the beach from the east end. You could ride bikes to Pinocchio's for ice cream or simply drive to anywhere pretty easily (summer makes for fewer crowds and traveling by car is not really a pain at all). Are you going there in the summer?

You should add The Seaside Inn to your list of places to check - www.sanibelcollection.com/seaside%5Finn/

A quick look though shows it's pretty booked for the summer. I didn't look for every week though. Also, since you have 3 teens you'd need a bigger place there, and those are a bit more expensive, and they fill up quicker than the 4-person hotel rooms.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Miami FL
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

You might check out Sanddollar on Sanibel. They have some units in which the den is set up as a 3rd bedroom. We stayed there 2 years ago and it worked well w/3 teenagers. Our unit had twin beds in that room and the second bedroom and a king in the master.

Sanddollar is also within biking distance of Periwinkle, the main drag of Sanibel. My girls biked around with no problem. It is gulf front; the living room and master bedroom face the ocean and you are close enough to hear the waves if you have the sliding glass doors open.

It is a relatively small complex and when we were there, also in July, very uncrowded. It has a nice pool and grills as well.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Periwinkle Park & Campground
Periwinkle Park...
290 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
8. Re: mid summer with teens, 2 bdrm on beach with a place to walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island