We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

I would love to go to Sanibel Island and go

shelling, but I am wondering if the Island has

plenty to do for teenagers, and where would be a

great place to stay with kids?

Thanks for any help!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

I have two teens, and have taken more, and intend to possibly plan a senior trip there for a few teens. So the teens I know, any way, have a blast there.

There are not video arcades, or teen type hang outs, but rent them a bike and give them a fishing pole and a pool and they seem to be happy!

There are bike paths all through the island, so they can travel wherever they want via bicycle. They tend to take the bike to food destinations,(shocker!), and there are plenty of teen friendly food places to go. Schnappers Hots, Cheeburger Cheeburger, Dairy Queen to name a few.

You can also go parasailing in Captiva, rent a scooter from Billy's Bikes.

Your question about where to stay with kids, do you mean teens or smaller kids?

Miami FL
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

Also, it might depend on gender. I have taken my teenage daughter, now 17 YO, and her best friend, 15 YO, to Sanibel/Captiva for the past 3 summers. They LOVE it, in fact it is now a must-do summer tradition for all of us!

The girls are perfectly content to hang out most of the time. They occasionally take a bike ride, stroll the beach, or now that my daughter drives they will take a quick run to a food source or shopping area. Otherwise they emulate busy executives and use their time to un-stress to the max.

Anyway, I also have a son, now 20 YO.My son tends to get a bit bored. He can lounge and eat for only so long before he gets restless. I think this year he will be traveling and not coming over at all and he doesn't seem to be too sad about missing the island experience.

However, that doesn't mean there isn't plenty for teens to do if they want to and you've got the bucks or they've got the energy to bike around. There is parasailing, exploring natural areas, boat tours, dining, etc. There is a live theater on Sanibel that we haven't been to but that might be entertaining. I think much depends on your teen's age, energy level and need for stimulating experiences.

Good luck planning, it's the fun part I think.

st aug bch
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

I think it can work if U stay in a place where they(teens)can get into their own scene....

A resort style hotel like "Tweenies"as the TA'ers

call it(tween waters inn) works because there is plenty to do if they want,

beach,nice pool area ,docks,boats,restaurants,etc,all these cool places are right there !,they(teens)find each other quick,& soon the sounds of "marco","polo"

fill the air....

the parent(s) can relax knowing the kids are close by & U know they are having fun because U have to look for them to go for your nice dinner U have planned,etc.,

I also think anybody is lucky to go across the causeway to Sanibel/Captiva and get to vacation there at all,but that is just my humble opinion...

USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

My kids are 14 and 17, any fun places for us to

stay?? Thanks so much!!

st aug bch
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

with the kids I recommend "Tweenies",

I have also stayed at Jensen's,but there is much more to do at Tween Waters Inn,check out their website ,it will give U a nice overview of everything,

as for Sanibel, I am sure there are similar style hotel/resort style spots there as well,I just have not stayed there,but we always go to Sanibel for shopping,restaurants,library,etc;,

just make it easy on yourself & book "Tweenies",grab that deal they have going right now(does not apply to cottages,my fav!)

enjoy, enjoy, and please post us a trip report !

cheers, beachboy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

When we were teenagers (I'm 30 now), we would roam the beach and hang out at Pointe Santo and Casa Ybel at night, the larger resorts = more kids.

We stayed at TORTUGA a couple times where I always made some friends.

I would assume Sundial would be good due to it's size, but it never appealed to us, too big.

Good Luck!

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

I would stay Pointe Santo. Kids can bike to icecream, DVD rental, Baileys to get bait or snacks & Movie theatre all very close by.

From what I understand there is a volleyball net there and the kids gather and make friends.

The kids in our family have always been happy like McNaughts kids. Sun, surf, pool,shelling, shore fishing, reading books & just relaxing. They don't need to be constantly entertained. We played games in the rental at night and rented DVD's.....or made shell picture frames. Usually they were too exhausted from a fun day in the sun to care what they did after dinner.

There is a 26 mile bike path that is flat which is nice for the whole family. Tarpon Bay kayaking, Ding Darling, Yolo water sports on Captiva, Thriller boat ride, day cruises to outer island, etc., to plan adventures.

I have heard of teens to say they are bored....but I just don't know how they could be. Our extended family and all their kids have thourghly enjoyed the trips throughout the years. Our only daughter never felt the need to meet friends while on vacation so I steered clear of those hangout places and just brought a cousin or friend :) I like....quiet!!!!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

Pebbles; I just returned yesterday. Had 3 teenage girls with us (17, 15, & 15). We stayed at Sundial. If I was to go back, I would stay at Casa Ybel. I liked the layout of the resort better, also the location. Personally, I would not recommend Tween waters for teens (we checked it out on crab race night). The resort was great, but Captiva was awfully quiet for teens. So if there is nothing to interest them at the resort, it's a 30 minute drive to Sanibel. We did the Thriller boat ride, and parasailing on Captiva. That was about it for planned activities. Had a rental car, so the teens could not drive. I did drop them off on Periwinkle a couple of afternoons, and they walked and shopped. Had a good time. My husband and I loved Sanibel; we went for a long bike ride early each morning; the kids enjoyed it, but they don't feel a need to go back. Of course we just got home yesterday. 10 months from now they might be begging to go back. We had a 2 bedroom condo, which I feel is the way to go. Any specific questions, you can pm me.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

I think Casa Ybel or our own Pointe Santo are the best options for families and teens. At PS there is a beach volleyball net that tends to draw teens together to meet and the West Gulf Drive area is convenient to bike to a number of places- movies, ice cream, CheeburgerCheeburger- without too many curb cuts.

Captiva is lovely but lacks bike paths and that limits options off-site unless you drive.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Sanibel Island a Place to take Teenagers

I think it just depends on the teen and what they like...my son (16 last trip, 17 this one coming up) loves Sanibel and has been asking to go back since we got home! But he loves nature, animals, fishing, shelling and kayaking so is one happy camper. I know my niece who (this is a quote from my mother) "always wanted a 3 ring circus" as a teen would have hated it.