We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel guard, Royal Shell.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travel guard, Royal Shell.

Anyone with experience with this policy? I read it, but it contradicts whether hurricanes are covered. At least that is how I read it.

My primary concerns are hurricane coverage and if I have to cancel due to my parents being ill ( they are both very elderly and not well right now).

Anyone advise me?? I would so appreciate it.

dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

You have to read them very carefully and the policy language can change without notice from one year to the next. Concerning hurricanes, I have generally seen the policy language to cover mandatory evacuations. If there is a hurricane in the neighborhood, for example if the area is "coned", there would not be any coverage unless an evacuation is ordered. With respect to illnesses, including those of elderly relatives, often pre-existing conditions are excluded. So ill parents would not be covered if they had the condition for six months or a year prior to the vacation.

I do not get the insurance since the exclusions make it unlikely to be of any benefit. I have had a cancellation due to a hurricane in the past dealing with Royal Shell and they gave me a year to rebook something. I thought that was exceptionally good business and I have been customer many times since, along with other family members and friends I recommended to them. I am sure that there is no requirement that they do this, but I appreciated it.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

The Terms of the policy on the RS website have the typical waffling on hurricanes. Almost all policies read like that. In other words, if the property is habitable, regardless of the condition of the island in general, you will NOT be covered if you fail to take the trip.

I used this insurance out to illustrate the short comings of travel insurance. In 2004 I had a house on Captiva booked for 5 weeks. The house was habitable and there was electric and water. The fact the island itself was a wreck, there was no cable, and nothing to do and nowhere to eat, the insurance company would NOT have paid for the missed trip. I managed to cancel just ahead of the deadline and didn't have to pay for 5 weeks.

As for your parents, do make sure you get the policy where PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS are covered. This must cover Known and UNKNOWN pre-existing conditions.

The policy is usually cheaper, but not always, buying from an agency. They do get a % of the sale and it only works if they actually BUY the policy.

If you have any qualms, check

http://www.insuremytrip.com/quote/index.html

Travel Guard is one of the biggest out there and I've used them several times, always buying an individual policy.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

I have never purchases travel insurance before. Because of my folks, my hub thinks we should. The policy with RS states if you buy within 14 days of initial purchase, preexisting conditions due have coverage, for immediate family members. Parents are immediate family.

The hurricane thing has me baffled and irritated. 'Inclement' weather consists of floods, blizzards, etc but not hurricanes. Hmmm, cuz Florida sees a lot of blizzards. One would think an agency could promote better insurance than this.

I am actually more worried about my parents than a hurricane - but if a storm hit, the house was intact but the rest of the island demolished - you would still be responsible for the rent, if within the 90 day cancellation policy of the agency? Rubbish.

MN
Level Contributor
554 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

Sunny, I have been in your situation before. My Mom was very ill and I was taking a quick little vacation. I bought insurance and the airline ticket I bought was supposedly one that I could change without cost very quickly. As it turned out I went on my vacation and the next day I had to return home. The airline did not honor what I'd been told but I decided to deal with that at a later time as my Mom was now on her last days. The insurance paid for everything that I had paid for and eventually the airline came through too. I had never bought insurance before but if you are feeling that there may be a problem I'd go for it just for peace of mind. Since that time I always ask about cancellation policies for the places I'm thinking of staying at.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

Thank you everyone. I did get it in the end. I didn't mean to be such a grump about it - the situation is just stressful for me.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
467 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

Why not call the company directly and ask your questions as to coverage. Below from Royal Shell website.

To receive an informational brochure about the insurance program, contact any of our vacation planners at Royal Shell Vacations. Or, if you'd like to speak to a representative from the insurance company, you can contact Travel Guard International at 1-866-221-8080, refer to product #004770. They are available 24/7. Insurance must be purchased the earlier of 30 days prior to arrival or final trip payment date.

Coverage not available in all states. This is only a brief description of the coverage available. The policy will contain limitations, exclusions

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
485 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

Sunny,

Sorry to hear your parents are ill. I have not had much luck with travel insurance. We had a trip to Mexico planned several years ago.

The day before we were to leave a major hurricane hit the area. Many tourist were in shelters and trying to find a way to leave. Our resort was with out power but they said "come on down the power should be back on soon" "Will will be removing the trees from out pool tomorrow" "You will probably be without air conditioning for your trip but everything will be fine"

We were booked with a tour company and had bought travel insurance and could not get our money back. We were able to trade on another trip to Dominican Republic but we had to pay quite a bit more.

The moral to my story is that I did not understand all the loop holes in my travel insurance policy.

DO you have a friend that is an insurance agent? Or an attorney friend? Perhaps they could help sort it out. Good luck!!!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

The person at Royal Shell could not answer any of my questions. I called the insurance co. - they tried to answer my questions, but didn't do a very good job. So I was emailed a copy of the policy.

Lots of loopholes, not sure if worth it or not in the end.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

I reached the point where I figured I'd have to get hit by a bus or the rental would have to burn to the ground and the island sink before I got anything back from the insurance company.

Space Coast, FL
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel guard, Royal Shell.

Travel Guard is offered through AIG insurance.

I would be careful buying insurance from anybody who needs a government bailout to stay in business.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island