We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bowman's Beach opinions

east coast
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Bowman's Beach opinions

How is Bowman's Beach? Crowded? Good shelling? Good fishing? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bowman's Beach
Bowman's Beach
2,556 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bowman's Beach opinions

As far as fishing and shelling, it is no different than any other beach. The tides and currents determine where the shells land, there is no way to predict that. It is not really a crowded beach, it is very large. The walk from the parking lot to the beach is a hike, I think, and hot in the summer.

Here is a link to a fishing forum that my son uses for SW Florida, hope it helps.

outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=110

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Kansas
Level Contributor
150 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bowman's Beach opinions

I thought the beach was similar to others too. But it does have a playground on the path to the beach, if you have munchkins. But wasn't crowed. It had a fun sand bar in the distance that we could swim to that had lots of sand dollars. Most were live but fun to see them before putting back.

east coast
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bowman's Beach opinions

Thanks MC and Green. We usually stay on West Gulf Drive but we may try Blind Pass Condo next time. It is adjacent to the public access to Bowman's so we're asking around for info. We prefer quiet beach time. Maybe if we go out early and then again around sunset we'll miss the crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Blind Pass Beach
Blind Pass Beach
692 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Bowman's Beach
Bowman's Beach
2,556 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bowman's Beach opinions

I've never seen crowds on Bowman's Beach so I wouldn't be concerned. In the summer it can be almost desolate!

Then and again, apart from Lighthouse and maybe Gulf City beaches during high season I would hardly ever consider any beach on Sanibel crowded!

Mentioned in this post
Bowman's Beach
Bowman's Beach
2,556 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
east coast
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bowman's Beach opinions

That is good news indeed. I like a little space when I'm fishing. We are planning for September which is usually a slow time. The occupancy rate at Blind Pass Condo seems low that month. I figure to go out at first light and move away from the public access area to find some quiet spots. My wife likes to shell at that time too.

Mentioned in this post
Blind Pass Beach
Blind Pass Beach
692 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bowman's Beach opinions

Lure, If you stay on Westgulf again, you can always ride a bike, holding all your fishing gear of course, to the beach access points 1-7. My son would ride to one of them to fish, because the beach in front of Waterside would get too crowded for fishing. You cannot park there, only residents can, but you can park a bike, or have someone drop you off.

7. Re: Bowman's Beach opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island