We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling during 1st week of December

Shelling during 1st week of December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 July 2009, 15:05
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

Holy Cow! that looks like a great week - negative tides are the best. Especially with a full moon or new moon.

I would so come that week if I could.

I believe you read the chart right - just look at the date, time and degree of tide.

thebaitbox.com/December%202009%20Tides.htm

I found my horse conch in the gulf, on a sand bar - the gulf side of the sandbar, buried. I could only see the tips -the rest of the shell was buried. I had to kneal down in the freezing water to dig it out - but boy was it worth it!

There are lots of big horse conchs out there - mostly with critters in them - more difficult to find an empty one. Just keep your eye peeled, looking for small parts of an exposed shell to dig out.

Remember there is no live shelling.

I haven't been to a sand bar by PS. There have been good ones on West Gulf, just west of there. Maybe someone who has stayed at PS can comment on it.

I found my shell in the sandbar in front of Sun Dial. I had great luck in that area last fall.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

KansasShellee,we made our reservations months ago for the last week of December till mid Jan just because of the extremly low tides & full moon. The shelling should be awesome. Good luck and have a great tip :)

Hoxie, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

Thank goodness, because I was beginning to have 2nd thoughts on when I should go because of weather, water temp, etc. I love the water. For many years I have dreamed, literally dreamed of walking the beach and shelling. I have been on 2 beach trips, 1 to Naples for a couple of days which started my shell collection and also to Mexico, Mayan Riviera part. Not a lot of beach shells there but great snorkeling for shells. I had never snorkeled before either so didn't have a lot of success there! Anyway ever since learning of Sanibel I have dreamed of coming there but since our son lives in Michigan we normally don't get south. Is the water always too cold to be in this time of year? Thanks to both of you for all of the helpful info. You can bet, no matter what the weather, I will be out hunting!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

Im from Miami so anything below 80 is cold to me..lol..but I have seen people in the water when the temp in the air is 60. I guess it depends on the person.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

The water will be cold for swimming - it was cold last November, when I found that horse conch.

BUT that didn't stop me from shelling whatsoever.

Another suggestion is to take a cruise to cayo costa. I found a 6/7 inch long horse conch, buried there. Just felt the tips with my foot and dug it up - it was all white.

6. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 July 2009, 15:05
Hoxie, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

Yes, Cayo Costa is definitely in my plans. Just trying to decide on a charter or renting a boat ourselves. I have heard a lot of good things about Captain Mike. Would it be better to go in the morning or afternoon AND do you think we will need reservations in advance that time of year? I was hoping I could just call after we got there. Actually I was thinking about changing our plans and going a bit earlier just because I am so impatient and the end of November seems so far away, BUT I think I am now convinced this may be a great time. The first week of November looks good too though. Weather wise, would it be much different then?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

If Shelling were my primary reason for shelling - I would want to go the first week of Dec. If I wanted good weather and shelling, I would go the first week of Nov.

You can check the weather averages for an idea - but they are only averages and no one can tell you for sure what it will be like. There are usually cold fronts coming in in Nov - we always go in Nov, have found both HOT weather and cooler days. Tho I do think the gulf will be colder in December.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

If you are going to Cayo with Capt Mike, I would make reservations in advance. If you are going with Captiva Cruises, wait until you are on the island.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shelling during 1st week of December

angelhamm

I see you added your charter info to the insider pages. I would like to let you know that self promotion is NOT allowed on TA. However, any knowledge and advice you have to offer to travelers is welcome - it is obvious from your website you are knowledgable about the area.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island