We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rain and what to do plus trip report

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, IL
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
rain and what to do plus trip report

Okay arrived last night (Sat July 25th) to rain. No big deal as we were still needing to buy groceries and such. Got a little turned around at first coming out of the airport but found a new plaza containing a super target and best of all a PF Changs China Bistro, we will be going for lunch or dinner one day. Oh and my husband picked up our car from Car rental 8 someone recommended. It was cheaper than everywhere else, you do have to prepay and they did try to charge extra taxes even though the prepayment clearly stated all fees included. We will just fight the difference with

AMEX when we get home

Today we are waiting for the storm to stop so we can go to the ocean

Wondering if the rain keeps up all week what else to do??.

des plaines, IL
Level Contributor
315 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

Go to the Shell Museum on the island. It wil only take up and hour or two but its very interesting.

There is also a flea market in Ft. Myers that has dozens of shops and things to buy. I'm not sure of the hours and days they are open, but it sounded interesting. Maybe someone else here knows the exact name and you can google it. I know they have a web page.

cincinnati
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

We had rain last Monday and visited the shell museum - which was very interesting - and then browsed through the Periwinkle shops. It cleared up by late afternoon and ended up a great day. If we had another rainy day I am not sure what we would have done as my 2 teenage boys would have balked at shopping again. There is a movie theater next to Baileys so that could have been an option.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

The weather report looks typical Florida summer: hot with scattered afternoon thunderstorms; usually no all day rains.

There's a movie theater on the island and you cna go off island to see the Ford and Edison houses in Fort Myers.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

The weather report looks typical Florida summer: hot with scattered afternoon thunderstorms; usually no all day rains.

There's a movie theater on the island and you cna go off island to see the Ford and Edison houses in Fort Myers.

Green Bay
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

I was wondering if there are some storms hitting the island this weekend...we are set to arrive this FRI for a week, and looking ahead at the forecast- I'm a bit concerned. Does anyone have any good suggestions of entertainment we can do with preteen & teen girls when the weather does not cooperate??

Jinxie in Green Bay

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

It usually rains but then clears, it doesn't normally rain all day so don't worry!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
460 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

Rainy day activity suggestions:

>Island Cinema may have a matinee for rainy days

>If it's Fri., Sat., or Sun, head to Fleamasters (huge flea market) on Martin Luther King Blvd off I-75

>Check out the wonderful shops, boutiques, galleries on Sanibel and Captiva

>If it's just cloudy and not pouring rain, head down to the Everglades for a day trip.

>See if there are any seashell treasures on the beach.

Colorado
Level Contributor
176 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

Ding Darling has a visitors center that is great, Big Arts has a shop and gallery area as well, the library has a cool shell collection if you want to see it after you hit the Shell Museum...Ice Cream is stil great in the rain-Frozen Custard at Nick's or mud pie at Mc T's are always appropriate...

fort myers, fl
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

Not to send you off island but the boys may enjoy a trip to Fort Myers Beach. It's a little more "surf shoppish" with a great pier and some fun things to do. I know how teenagers are, Sanibel is awesome but teenagers have a different mind set sometime. There is a grill right next to the pier called, of all things, Pierside Grill that has an awesome shrimp salad. You can eat while the guys boogie board and people watch nearby. Might make a nice daytrip when it's not raining.

fort myers, fl
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rain and what to do plus trip report

We are in the Summer weather pattern that is typical for this time of year. Storms are strong but pass quickly. Makes great shelling afterward, it's my favorite time on the beach!