We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you miss the most?

Iowa
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
What do you miss the most?

I'm sitting here just aching for Sanibel...and I'm wondering, what do the rest of you miss the most? There are so many things for me, I can't decide. What about you?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you miss the most?

The smell of the sand, the feel of the breeze off the gulf, the hunt for 'that' shell, watching the pattern of the flying pelicans, the swaying of the banana hammocks.

ha ha ha : )))

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you miss the most?

The smells, the breeze and the fact it is like a relaxation drug that works instantly...

Iowa
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you miss the most?

Maybe that's it...the pounding of your heart as you approach the causeway....the impatience if you have to wait for even one other car in line to pay your toll...the little catch in your breath as you go over that first rise...and the letting it all out as you finally coast past the Chamber building...that feeling of relief...and joy...you're there.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you miss the most?

Palm trees, sand between my toes, the Islanders and hanging out with my husband and kids.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you miss the most?

That drive over the causeway onto the island makes me soooo happy, like coming home. I also love sitting on the lanai, any gulf front lanai, with a cup of coffee. ahhhh!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you miss the most?

No schedule. Every morning you get up, and do whatever the heck you feel like doing. And that includes starting with adult beverages late morning.

Kansas
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you miss the most?

The smell and sound of the ocean! BUT I really miss everything!

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you miss the most?

The sunrises and the sunsets. Walking the beach bleary eyed looking for those extra special shells.The divebombing pelicans.

And most of all the feeling of not having a care in the world.

Being on island time!

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you miss the most?

What I miss the most.....the way Sanibel was 30 years ago! Please, don't misunderstand me....I LOVE Sanibel now, but it IS SO different from when I first started to visit. Back then, the island really was much more undeveloped, laid back, beach shacks everywhere, never traffic nor crowded the way it is now. Sanibel has managed the development very well. It's still my #1 spot to visit and that is why I return every year. If everyone saw it long ago, I think you may agree.

Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you miss the most?

We usually try to go down twice a year to spend time at out condo. We arrive in the Spring and Fall, before and after the winter rental season to update our unit. We look so forward to that and all work is truly a Labor of Love.

Like others have mentioned, the drive over the causeway is always special as is the laid back attitude we get while on vacation.

To us, what we miss most are all the friends we have made in 30 years of visitng beautiful Sanibel. Seeing them all once again is always the highlight of all or reurn visits.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island