We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Flights to Sanibel

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Flights to Sanibel

I thought I'd start a new thread alerting those in certain areas to check out the fares to the Sanibel area on Direct Air. We just booked in February for $230 RT.

They fly into the airport at Punta Gorda (PGD) which is only about a half hour further from Sanibel than Regional Southwest/ Fort Myers (RSW).

They currently offer direct flights from:

Worcester MA, Kalamazoo/Battle Creek MI, Plattsburgh NY, Springfield/Central IL, Rockford and Niagara Falls.

FYI!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Flights to Sanibel

Would you kindly share more information about flying in to Punta Gorda. I can land at RSW grab my luggage and rental car in sometimes less then 30 mins. Is Punta Gorda as fast?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Flights to Sanibel

This will be my first trip into PGD so I will have to let you know! Perhaps others have some experience?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Flights to Sanibel

I have flown into PGD at least a dozen times. The airport is VERY SMALL. You get out of the plane on the tarmac & walk to the gate. The rental car counter is no more than 25 yards inside the doors & the baggage carousel is just steps away from there.

I have found that if I check bags, I can get in line at the car counter, collect the keys, and grab my luggage by the first go-around. If you do just carry-on's you're in and out in less than 15 minutes.

The rental cars are located at the end of the building, so there's no shuttles to catch.

Getting onto I-75 is very easy and clearly marked. I usually make it to the causeway in about 45 mins.

PGD makes very easy traveling with kids, too.

I'm flying into RSW in January but back home from PGD (just based on my preferred schedule) and I for me, there is no difference in travel time between the two. Just a few more miles logged.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Flights to Sanibel

Thanks for the information..Good to know that I have an extra option to fly into.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Flights to Sanibel

Thanks for the info Marslady!!

Guess that's the end of thinking about flying into PGD for me. I usually only have about 2 weeks to plan my Sanibel trips so I'm always looking for ways to get around the high air fare I usually find.

Are you watching the Steelers?

6. Re: Cheap Flights to Sanibel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island